Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my "LNIB" 336 8 or 10 days ago. Cleaned it ( it supposedly had had only one box of ammo through it ) because it evidently had not had a cleaning rod through it, knocked off the front sight hood and went to the range. On the way there I realized I hadn't fired a rifle since 1978 and that was a scoped 336 I used for deer hunting.

Set up four 8" targets at 25 yds. Shot 14 rounds of 150 grain Core-Lokt and did quite well considering I really could not see the sights against the black targets. Went to the car and got a white piece of cardboard, drew a coke-can sized circle with a sharpie, and put the last five shots in it. Very pleased with myself.

More importantly for the forum: The gun worked fine, new stiff and that kind of thing, but did everything it was made to do.

It was made in Ilion.

I'll be deciding on whether to put different sights or a 4x or 6x scope on it over the next few months.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice! All my levers now sport scopes (it's these older eyes). The only rifles I shoot using irons these days are my milsurps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like fun! I have a 336 and a 1894. I just put a Skinner peep sight on the '95(.45 Colt) and am group less than 3" @ 50 yds. with Hornady ammo and Winchesters. My almost 50 yr. old eyes were not liking the buck horn sight at all...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes guys, it's the 65 yo eyes and no line trifocals. As I said, my prior experience with rifles was for deer hunting with a scope. The only decent hunting, as near as I can tell, down here would be for hogs. Don't have a strong desire to do that...for a number of reasons, not the least of which are snakes and skeeters.

Have a similar problem with the stock sights on my Ruger GP100, but since it is a home defense weapon "Center Mass" at up to 10 yards is no problem and orange silhouette targets at the pistol range do for practice. 8)

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Glad to hear a report about a good rifle instead of all the trash talking and complaints!

What does it have for a front sight? A gold bead? Maybe take some white nail polish and paint the front so you can see it better.

Congrats on your new found joy!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
six_gunz:I don't know what would be the precise name for the sight, it's just a small blade with a rounded top, the end of the rounded top is a dull bronze color on the end toward the buckhorn. As noted, once I moved to shooting at a white target it was OK. I will change the rear sight to a Skinner peep at least or add a Leupold Ultralite fixed focus scope.

Right now I'm overflowing with new toys - the new 1894c has not been out and about yet and the new stainless Blackhawk has only been to the range once. As we move from the tourist season to the hurricane season there is plenty of time to get busy with all of these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts