Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun writer Richard Mann gave me permission to share a photo of the 30-30 Marlin he's taking to Africa soon. It's from the Marlin/Remington custom shop, which is Dakota Arms:

It really grabs me! In my opinion, that is one of the most beautiful lever action rifles I've ever seen. Richard is a smart guy, an experienced hunter and enjoys his lever action rifles. I'm sure he'll make wise decisions about how he uses it while hunting in Africa. Am looking forward to his articles on the subject!

Sure makes my little ol' Glenfield look pretty plain! :)

Guy

·
Administrator
30,788 Posts
Guy, I don't know, I still like your Glennie but do love the custom wood on that rifle. I'd rather see it on a blued rifle.

Jack

·
Registered
21,226 Posts
That Marlin sure is a beauty, but I think I'd cry if I had something like that and scratched/dinged it! I'll take the Glenfield...looks like a worker (but beautiful in its own right :biggrin:) and wouldn't have to worry about it so much!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I like them both.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Looks good, but the color case hardening is unbalanced. It needs a CCH butt plate to bring balance to the force before the dark side creeps in.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
Yep. Both are beautiful rifles. But if it was me, I'd just be happy with the Glenfield. The custom shop one is just a little too much bling for me. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Your li'l old Glenfield looks terrific! And that rifle!!!!!! Holy moly that is beautiful, and what wood! It would have made me cringe just to lay it up against the rock to take the picture (there would have been some serious and invisible padding at the contact points - maybe little felt stickie pads?). Thanks for sharing this - it's gorgeous!!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
The CS 336 is nice, and so is your Glenfield. Know what, I have a '68 Glenfield 30,(I call it my poor man's SC), that is perfect in the metal and almost so in the wood. I bought presentation grade walnut for it a few years ago, but it has yet to be fitted. I kind of like it the way it is. Jack

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.