Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen photographs of older 336's that were never drilled and tapped. Is there a proper name for the texturing on the top of the receivers of these rifles?

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
waffle tops?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Waffletop - english/german (noun) pronounced wa-full-top. ;) The most common nomenclature (term) used by those who have been infected with a certain affliction hereon referred to as "Marlinitus Chronicus" to describe a 1948-1952 (first model, years of production) model 336A, ADL, RC, or SC(without the s prefix) (I think) in calibers dirty-thirty, 35 REM, and the last but not least my sweetie pie favorite the 32 Win. Special (I just love the sound of that, dont you?) with wavy line engraved treatment on the receiver top to reduce glare.

:)

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Not drilled a tapped ??? an old maid. ;D ;D

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
stevewhr said:
Perhaps not old maid, but disadvantaged for sure! Pretty good Janott!
Thanks! ;D I actually was going to use that other word but I know this is a family channel. ;)

·
Administrator
23,825 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Tatersoup said:
but didn't those early models have drilled and tapped holes on the side of the receiver for an aperture sight?
Yup that started with the model 36 and continued up until a couple years ago.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm a little behind, I guess - didn't know the current production 336 rifles were not drilled & tapped on the side for a receiver sight. Need to get out more! ;)

But - why would I buy a new rifle when there are so many vintage rifles that need a good home! :D

Cedar Creek

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Cedar Creek said:
So - what do you call the rifles from '53 until factory drill & tap? Seems like I've heard them called "flat top".
???

Cedar Creek
The word I use is the same nomenclature given to first press olive oil. Or a stand of timber never before cut. I don't see that as an objectionable word. If it is I apologize.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Cut Block said:
My pre 1948- 336 was never drilled and tapped
And for a good reason. ::)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Cut Block said:
My pre 1948- 336 was never drilled and tapped
My pre 1948- 336? I thought 1948 was the first year....

·
Registered
20 Posts
LD: I'm fairly sure mine is a 1947,but there again(LOL). Whatever it is I do
enjoy hunting with the old rifle and have many great memories, have
thought of a scope but just don't want to spoil the original flat top look.
Jack :D

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
There were no 336's made in 1947. The first year of production for the 336 was 1948. I'd love to find one from that model year. The earliest I've got is from 1949.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Brian in FL said:
There were no 336's made in 1947. The first year of production for the 336 was 1948. I'd love to find one from that model year. The earliest I've got is from 1949.
I'd love to find a nice 1949 35rem. All the good things started that year. ;D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.