Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed on, though I have viewed stuff many times over the years. I got my first Marlin, a 336C in 30-30 in 1964 for $52. I was 15. Now I have a bunch of Marlins, a bigger bunch of Savage 99's, a couple Winchesters, a few Brownings, a Rossi and a couple Henry's for lever guns, of course there are a few Mausers, Enfields, Mossberg's AR's,a Garand, other rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Started reloading 30-30 in 1965, casting with a single cavity 311041 and using Hi-Vel#2 powder. Over the years I have been both amused and annoyed by the 'That is accurate FOR A LEVER ACTION'. I expect accuracy well under 2 MOA from my lever guns. I believe in scopes for any and ALL hunting. I think that a good 2-2.5 lb trigger on a 1.5 MOA rifle is a better hunting rifle than a 1/2 MOA rifle with a 5lb plus trigger. I have little patience with folks who are giving advice that is not based on personal experience. When I have an opinion I will try to be clear that it is an opinion, but based on things I have learned.
I have hunted the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming since 1977, on foot and on horse, packing my own horses into some empty places, mostly without company or help. I do most of my 'fun' shooting with Savage 99's in 300, 303, 308 or 243, or Marlin's in 32 Special or 35. Marlin lever guns - 35 Rem's, 30-30'S, 32 Special's, 444, 45-70s, 218 Bee, 22LRs, 44 Mag, 30 Carbine. I don't really have a COLLECTION, more of an impulse accumulation. I have restocked and rebarreled Marlins, Savage 99's, Mausers. I reload for everything I shoot, cast or buy cast bullets, for hunting Nosler Partition where availble or other 'premium' bullets. I do NOT enjoy recoil or muzzle blast. I do use top loads in the 45-70, 444, and 358 for elk. I have found that an 8lb rifle, that's loaded with scope and sling is about right in the rough country for elk now that I am 'older'. Open country, maybe almost 9lbs. I hunt on foot carrying my rifle in my hands or slung barrel down from my left shoulder. When a scoped rifle stops shooting I expect a problem with the scope regardless of make, Leupold and Burris do fail, I know. I retired to a farm so have my own range with backstops to 250 and up to 1000 yards available. SO I'll enjoy the TENDERFOOT designation.

·
Administrator
30,788 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from the Sierra Foothills. Enjoy the site and the tenderfoot designation while it lasts.

Jack

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! If you're taking part in all that this forum has to offer, your "tenderfoot" designation won't last long! John

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Welcome from Central NY ! Sounds like you fit here like a glove.

·
Super Moderator
16,668 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The "Original 444 Marlin®" Country!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

Sounds like you've got a wealth of experience to speak from. And you know what you like.

Good hunting.

You won't stay Tenderfoot long.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Welcome from KY.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.