Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an 1894s in 41 mag on a different forum. I have owned dozens of Marlins, but never one in 41 mag. I once shot a cousin's Dan Wesson pistol in 41, but that is extent of my experience with the calibur.

Any of you that own this model, please give me your impressions. How accurate is it? How does it perform on deer?

The one I bought has a custom bead blasted dull black finish. It has great wood. Would it be too hard to have the bead blasted finish removed and reblued by Marlin?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The original 1894S in 41 Mag was made in 1984-1985. According to the Brophy Marlin book, 1,040 were made in 1984 with 2,500 supposedly made in 1985.

They are pretty rare and highly sought after. Mint NIB rifles command very high prices. I bought one some years ago after about 7 years of searching. Mine is a shooter, in very nice shape but no box or papers. It shows signs of use and handling but is a really great rifle.

It has a microgroove barrel. I shoot 210 Hornady XTP's out of it with full charges of H110. With a scope I can do about 2" at 100, with the peep I do about 3-4" at 100. I have not shot anything other than paper but many say it performs well on deer within 100 yards.

Here's mine-

·
Registered
5 Posts
41 mag

41 mag is my favorite caliber in a pistol, and I picked up the 1894 in 41mag to compliment the pistols that I have. I currently do not reload for this caliber even though I have the dies and the rcbs press, space and time, and storage of powder keep me from doing it. I have taken deer out to 125yds with the pistols , hogs, coyotes, and targets of opportunity that were closer. Did shoot a doe last season with the rifle during our extended doe season here in Texas and it did a number on her. My 41 is far from stock,as are my pistols, the rifle wears XS sights, the action has been smoothed and tuned, a bearproof ejector was installed as well as an aluminum follower and chrome silicon tube spring. the barrell was lapped and crowned. I also changed out the lever for a David Clay loop and the trigger was modified/dehorned/smoothed for a righthanded shooter. Well it does shoot, 2 to 3 at a 100 with factory loads. I will eventually reload for the caliber trying to find a load that will shoot acceptably in both pistols and the rifle as well as individually. http://photobucket.com/albums/e118/slikrslik

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice looking rifle there slikrslik.

Do the stainless rifles have ballard type rifling?

I also picked a 1894FG with the pistol grip when they came out and it has the microgroove rifling. Not that it makes a lot of difference, just curious.

Good shooting.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
That is a nice looking rifle slikrslik. I bought one of these and really like it. It did not shoot very good at first but has been improving the more I shoot it. I installed XS sights also. I have been shooting the 210 grn hor xtp with LIL GUN powder. This has given me higher velocity and better accuracy then the loads of h-110 I tried.

GLC
The LTD stainless is microgroove. How does your FG shoot? I would also like to buy one of these. Have you ever chronoed any of your loads? I wonder how much difference between the 16 1/4" bbl and the 20"bbl.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Marlinshooter-

I have not shot the FG, its NIB in the safe. Bought it just to have as an investment. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them around. I'd like to know what the production numbers on the FG are.

I haven't chrono'd my 1894S 41 mag lately but I think it was around 1650 fps. My favorite load is 19.5 grains H110 under the 210 XTP.

G

·
I have a 1894FG that I've shot a few different jacketed bullets in and it did quite well. I also have a 1894CCL in 41 mag coming, it also has micro groove . But I plan on trying cast bullets in this one. As far as the 1894S in 41 is concerned I don't believe I've ever had my hands on one. Can't say the 41 is one of my favorites , but I still enjoy loading and shooting for them all :!: Only other 41 I've ever owned besides these two marlin's was a S&W 657 that was scoped with a 2x Leupold. That Smith shot really really well with 210 grain Noslers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1894S

....one just sold yesterday on GunBroker.com with box and peepsight installed for $485.00...sure was tempting but since I already had one better to let another .41 fan have one.

I have owned mine since the early 90s. Since then I have also purchased a 1894CCL and 1894LTD.

Most of the loads that have been shot out of the S and LTD have been full power loads. 23.0 grains of H110 with any 200-220 grain jacketed bullet. 22.0 grains of H110 with 230-265 gain hardcast. 26.0 grains with the Sierra 170 JHP. All thes loads have alo been shot from S&W, Ruger and FAs revolvers also.

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have tried for years to get my hands on one of the older marlins in 41 mag, but I finally broke down and bought the 1894FG, and for those that have the mistaken idea that all the guns you get from walmart are seconds or are somehow made cheaper, forget it. Walmart gets their guns directly from Sports South, which is one of the largest jobbers in the country. I spoke with a rep at South sports and his response was that Walmart buys so many guns acrossed the country, they are able to sell them at a cheaper price. OH, and, you can go down and order one from Walmart fro 417.00, but the supply is running out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought mine at Sportsmans here in Salem for $419 a little over a year ago. Same principle, sell lots and sell cheaper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought mine at Sportsmans here in Salem for $419 a little over a year ago. Same principle, sell lots and sell cheaper.

·
Registered
244 Posts
41 mag

I never shot the 41 in a rifle, but once owned a Ruger single action in that cal. I was in my young twenties then, best shooting round I ever shot . Traded the gun for a 357 same brand , couldn't hit a barn in 3 feet with it. Wish I still had the 41 but the ammo back then was more than a young family man could afford. Great gun ,Great round. Just hardly ever missed ......................
MUTT

·
Registered
363 Posts
I bought a new 1894S .41 Mag., in 1987, made in the same year. I've killed a medium sized Mule deer at about 90/95 yards with it, using the 210 grains Sierra JHP bullet in front of 19.0 grains of 2400. Deer went down like it had had it's feet jerked out from under it.

I also couple that Marlin with my S&W 57. Great outdoor bustin' around in the boonies combo. I wouldn't take for mine. Had two but a friend finallly talked me out of the other.

L.W.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** Try Paco ***

--- Go to , -- www.leverguns.com/articles/paco --- and read up on Paco's article on Heavy Bullets in the .41 Mag .

And / or anything with .41 Mag in the text .

Will give you a world of perspective on the .41 .

Most of the data is in terms of Handguns , -- but , increase the hardcast loadings a couple of hundred FPS . and you can imagine what results would be in a Marlin Carbine .

Look in the archives of this Site , -- as well as Leverguns .

---------- MMCOUGAR .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts