Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One very big advantage of getting e-books for an e-reader or tablet is the access to very old books that would be nearly impossible to actually find a printed copy.

I've been discovering the library of books that Roosevelt wrote over the years about hunting.

Very interesting read, told from a hunters perspective. Sometimes they are very entertaining and sometimes slow and repetitive (but that can be said of most books)

They can be found free from the Library of Congress or with a quick search of "The Google"

African Game Trails
Hunting the Grisly
Hunting Adventures in the West
Theodore Roosevelts Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail

Reactions: RB Rider and RGR

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Free !!

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's always the best price and also, W.D.M Bell has some great books too. Some of my favorite books are by him

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I still like a hard bound book, but by golly the E books allow a guy to have a library few of us have the money to buy, nor space to store. Many many out of print and out of copy right books and those in the "public domain" are available.

I have several TR on mine, as well as jack London, Samuel Baker, Stuart E White, the list goes on and on. Literally years of reading on any tablet device.

·
Banned
16,605 Posts
I read the Rough Riders and a couple others he wrote...very interesting first-hand account of routing the Spanish from Puerto Rico...

Also a few by Mark Twain, his firsthand account as documented in 'A Tramp Abroad'. He also documented some time he spent in Hawaii.

Jules Verne's 'The Mysterious Island' was read on my kindle. As was 'The Island of Dr. Moreau'.

I've always enjoyed reading, and humor novelists are always welcome on my kindle.

Try reading some Lewis Grizzard; one of my favorites of his is titled, 'Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies!'

Happy readin'!

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Don't miss out on TR's massive The Winning of the West...four volumes! They'll never teach this stuff in public school again.
Also The Naval War of 1812...a bit dry, but in which he fires several broadsides into James' Naval History of Great Britain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts