Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Teaser pic

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  The Appalachian 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Well, obviously left handed. Started out as a TVM kit with a Siler percussion lock. Then I fitted this L&R flint lock to it making it switch ignition. I like the percussion option if i need it but I'm probably inclined to just leave it mostly flint.

40 inch Colerain round bottom groove 1:56 twist barrel In 50 caliber. Plain maple stock, stained with bone black shading. Custom toe plate and modified butt plate. Double set triggers and South Carolina pattern trigger guard that came from another source.

I've yet to make my sights as like with most of the "kit" I didn't much care for what came with it. It will be a standard period correct front blade but I think I'll make my rear sight a folding leaf with a fixed 50 yard blade and a folding blade for 100 yards.

Edited: corrected barrel maker

#7 ·
is that photo/negative reversed? the lock is on the wrong side and the flint is upside down! LOL, that is going to be a good one! looks like a colonial rifle, or smooth bore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#8 ·
Nope, left handed.

We Southpaws wanna play too.

Surely you know about tuning a flint bevel up or bevel down to optimize the spark shower in the pan. I've tried it both ways on this frizzen and doesn't rrally matter. Just haven't switched it back yet.

It's a "Tennessee Iron Mounted" rifle, a shade fancier than a Tennessee Poor Boy, that I've taken some artistic liberties with to suit me better. 50 caliber 1:56 twisted Colerain barrel.

#14 ·
I'm NOT going to let my oldest grandson see those photos. He's 23 and he likes to tell me that he works with his right brain. But he sure did shoot my Kimber really well when he was in middle school. He's left handed but right eye dominant.

Great looking work.

#17 ·
Barrel isn't swamped and it's heavy, one regret I have about this build.

Wood is Hard Maple with minwax Red Oak stain and areas darkened with Bone Black to age it. Still playing with the wood finish to get it just right. Some places are too dark so I'm going to rub them back and try Burnt Umber pigment in the finish oil to get a more redish brown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.