Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK! We have our first challenge. ;D

It will be a Postal Match per Big Medicine's rules.

Rimfires:
Open sights - 25 yards
Scopes - 50 yards

Here's a link to download targets:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,86883.0.html

Scroll down part way and you will see them in either .doc format or .pdf format.

Here's is what all of the Team Captains came up with.
Shoot the match according to the match rules.
Send your target in to me for scoring. When you have a target PM me and I will PM you back with my address.

I will score all of the targets based on group size (center - to - center).

I will use my micrometer to measure the largest outside to outside spread of bullets and subtract the caliber (.224").

I will take the top 10 targets and submit them to Big Medicine or Side Spin for verification and a Team score.

I will post each members score in a separate thread so everyone knows how they did.

The deadline is they need to be post marked by August 15th. That gives me time to score all of them and get them to Big Medicine in time for final scoring.

Have Fun!!! and let's show them what these little 22's can do!

;D

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 'lever gun ONLY' match.

Being Team 39, I would prefer 39's shot the match. If you have a Henry or something, I won't count you out.

No semi's or bolt guns though.

HUNTING configuration. What you actually hunt with in the field.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I'm definitely submitting some 39A targets. I think I had the best score last year @ 50 yards.

·
Registered
593 Posts
How do I join team 39? I am a member of Team 45-70 and I would like to be a part of the team that represents my other favorite rifle. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
450 Sniper said:
It's a 'lever gun ONLY' match.

Being Team 39, I would prefer 39's shot the match. If you have a Henry or something, I won't count you out.

No semi's or bolt guns though.

HUNTING configuration. What you actually hunt with in the field.
I wasn't trying to enter something else, I was just wondering who I need to beat! ;)

I will be entering targets with my model 39, just the way it is.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rhendrix - CKB will get you signed up and a number assigned to you. He's pretty much 'Johnny on the spot' for that! ;D

Halwg - Let the games begin!!! I know I have that Stoney Point Rimfire thickness gauge somewhere around here.......... ;)

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE THE TESTICULAR FORTITUDE
(if your a woman - my apologies - it's a guy thing. You can join in too!)

I would like to propose a side match.

.22 LR
Open Sights
Mechanical rest and rear bag is allowed
200 yards
5 shot group
Lever action only match
Please use the Official Match Target

All I'm looking for is group size - I really don't care where it is on the paper as long as I can score it.

MUST be certified by a witness as to actual range shot (200 yards). I plan on going to my Regional Shooting Facility. They have paper targets out to 200 yards and the Range Master will sign it off for me.

Let me know, Boys! 8) (Yeah! I'm callin' you out!)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Is this for a 3 shot group or 5 or whatever? I think the big bore contest is for a 5 shot group. What are we doing on this one?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5 shot.

You know how it is - the first 2 or three ALWAYS make nice little groups. I never figured out if it was nerves or what that made #4 and #5 go somewhere else!

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
450 Sniper said:
rhendrix - CKB will get you signed up and a number assigned to you. He's pretty much 'Johnny on the spot' for that! ;D

Halwg - Let the games begin!!! I know I have that Stoney Point Rimfire thickness gauge somewhere around here.......... ;)

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE THE TESTICULAR FORTITUDE
(if your a woman - my apologies - it's a guy thing. You can join in too!)

I would like to propose a side match.

.22 LR
Open Sights
Mechanical rest and rear bag is allowed
200 yards
5 shot group
Lever action only match
Please use the Official Match Target

All I'm looking for is group size - I really don't care where it is on the paper as long as I can score it.

MUST be certified by a witness as to actual range shot (200 yards). I plan on going to my Regional Shooting Facility. They have paper targets out to 200 yards and the Range Master will sign it off for me.

Let me know, Boys! 8) (Yeah! I'm callin' you out!)
This sounds like fun, but I can't even see the target at 200 yards without a scope. Really I can't see it at 100 yards without a scope. At 200 yards 9 power isn't enough for me, so i'll have to pass.

Last year I had a 2-7X32 on my 39A. I took that scope off and put it on my 35 Remington, now all I have is a straight 4X. That will really make it hard for me to shoot 100 yard targets.

So I respectfully decline a 200 yard open sight match. Plus the one range I go to only has backstops to 150 yards so it wouldn't work anyway.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I practice all of the time with those orange clay pigeons at 200 and 300 yards.

I can go 400 yards, but that becomes Minute Of Garbage Can.

If the wind isn't kicked up, it's pretty surprising what a little 40 grain solid is capable of.

Sorry you can't shoot the Side Match. Your doing the Postal Match Team Challenge though, yes?

;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm in.

I hope I can do my part to keep our team average up. ;D

So... what happens if only six or eight people shoot?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fast Frank said:
I'm in.

I hope I can do my part to keep our team average up. ;D

So... what happens if only six or eight people shoot?
With our Team count in the 50's, I would be a little disappointed!

It is what it is - we are having a mix of rain and snow today. I imagine most folks will wait until the weather is a little nicer. After all, we have until August to submit them!

So far, only a couple of people have spoken up. ::)

I bought my 39 to shoot, not stare at (although I do alot of that, too!).

I put in a different Shaver insert into my Lyman Target Globe front sight yesterday - it's the one with a fine crosshair and a small peep circle in the middle.
It was REALLY easy making spent 20 gauge shells dance WAY out there. I found a new one I like!

Come on, People! At least print a few targets and do some practice groups. Post pictures of them.
If you can talk it, prove you can walk it!
:p

·
Registered
462 Posts
OK, in the "Keeping the team average up" context...

If I shoot what I think is a good target this month, but I shoot a BETTER target next month...

Can I re- submit?

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I may actually shoot some targets this weekend.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fast Frank - I don't believe there is a set minimum of HOW MANY targets you can shoot.
If you feel you shot a good group, send it to me. If you shoot a BETTER group later on, send THAT to me.
If your not sure, shoot as many as you want over the next couple of months - pick your best one out of the bunch and send me that one.

If it's a 'trickle' effect of targets coming in, I can keep up scoring them. If it's a mad dash to the finish line, I only want one from each member.

Halwg - Shoot 'em and post 'em! ;) If you get a real good one, save it or send it to me.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GOOD!!!

All I've been hearing is crickets chirping!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
OK, targets printed.

Weather is supposed to be nice in the morning. I'm going to do this.

My model 39 was spot on last time I shot it, and should produce for me tomorrow. I'm not worried about that. It's solid as a rock and probably as reliable as one.

Are we shooting for group size, or what?

Does my group need to be centered on the bull or can I move it a little so I'm not shooting away my aim point?

Five shots? Witness signature?

I'm shooting a scope. 50 yards, right?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
5 shots. 50 yards. Honor system. Group size (adjust your scope for bullseye!).

I wanted the signature for my 200 yard side match.

I am going shooting this morning, but not for groups. I'm just breaking in my newly tuned trigger. The wind is a very mild 20-30 mph! ???

Have fun! I want to see 'em!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts