Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Team 375,

When I was just getting into hunting, I could have used a handy resource to guide my efforts to acquire and configure my equipment. Many members have much experience and have learned from lots of trial and error. Would you care to share your hard-earned knowledge with the rest of the team? Some of the members are brand new to leverguns and others were just about born with them, but we could all benifit from your experience. Maybe this could be a handy resource.

How did you configure your rifle? Which sights do you use and why? How did you arrive at your decisions? Have you made changes to your configuration over time? If you did, why? How do you use your rifle and what do you hunt?

Lets try to keep the discussion related to our 375s and how we use them. You Winchester and Savage guys are welcome to join in, too.

I purchased my Marlin 375 about 12 years ago, simply because I liked the rifle. I mounted a Bushnell 1-4 X 32 Banner and developed a load for my rifle. All my shooting in load development was at 25 yards. When I found a load and attempted to zero the scope at 50 yards, I discovered I could not shoot a group for beans. I checked the mount and re-mounted the scope, but I still had the same results. This was about a month before season, and I was starting to feel the pressure as season was fast-approaching. I replaced the Bushnell Banner with a Leupold 1.75-6X32. I was able to zero the scope in time for season. I hunted with that configuration for about ten years. It was fine, but I decided as I grew older that I would prefer a smaller and lighter configuration. So with those criteria in mind, I replaced that 1.75-6X32 with a Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5X20 (it was the smallest and lightest scope I could find). I mounted the scope in Weaver low QuadLock rings on a Weaver base. This required that I remove the sights, but I don't use them, anyway. I rarely try shots beyond 100 yds. and prefer to take deer as close to my stand as possible, so any tracking is easier. I really like this configuration. The rifle is almost as light and fast as it was without the scope. Unfortunately, I need a scope; or, I would use some type of aperture sight. I can shoot targets just fine, but I could use a little more magnification so I can determine if the deer is legal to take (my hunting area in Arkansas is under a "three point rule", so I have to be able to determine if the buck has three points of the proper length on one beam). I do use binoculars, but sometimes I don't have time to switch to my rifle. I might replace the scope with a 1-4X20, though I would have to give up some of the Ultralight's "light".

I hunt from a tower stand and don't do much ground hunting. My area is 5-year old re-growth and in rolling hills in the Ouachita mountains, so shots are rarely over 150 yards. I hunt white tail deer and black bear with my 375, and I have found it to be perfectly adequate for my type of hunting; but then again, so is just about anything else.

Remember if anyone wants to join Team 375, just reply to the "Team 375 Official Member Roster" thread, and I'll add your name to the roster.

Happy Hunting!
Rushbeau

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Hey Rushbeau, the quachita mountains are a really nice area. Been wanting to get down that way and sample the striper fishing. My 375 has a Williams peep and a merit adjustable aperture.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sparky,

Thanks for the contribution! I envy (in a good way) you guys who don't have to use a scope.

The Ouachitas are indeed very nice. My property is in the Mount Ida area. It is not heavily populated, is full of lakes and rivers, and the hunting and fishing are very good. It is also the center of the quartz belt, which is an area about 75 miles long and 30 miles wide which produces the best quartz specimens in the world. I am also a mineral collector, and the primary species I collect is the Rock Crystal variety of the mineral quartz. Rock Crystal is the clear gem variety of quartz. Mount Ida has many mineral dealers who sell specimens from their own mines, and the region has several mines open to collectors. Most are within just a few miles from my property. I have found many very nice specimens at these mines and on my own property. After it was clearcut, the ground was bare and covered with tiny quartz crystals which sparkled in the sunlight. Now the place is so heavily regrown I can't collect any longer; but, the deer hunting has dramatically improved.

Your 375 would probably be too much for any fish we have. :biggrin:

Have a great evening!
Rushbeau

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I haven't had mine that long, but it wears a redfield 4x from about the same time period as the rifle. I'm a treestand hunter, cutover, smaller fields and wooded stream bottoms.

·
Registered
970 Posts
rushbeau,

My 1980 375W is bone stock except for a Leupold rail, weaver quad lock rings and VX1 3x9x40. I do plan on trying to relieve the forearm and see what I can do to isolate the mag tube as the gun is very finicky when shot from a rest. Then again I may leave it alone as it shoots fine offhand to 100 yards and I don't plan on hunting from a bench.

BB

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Mine deserves the retro classic all steel Lyman peep...as long as my eyes hold out. I like the Merit adjustable iris aperture as well. AC

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mine is as issued from the factory. It's a top eject Winchester 94 Big Bore and my options are limited. With it shooting like this, I not going to mess with it.:biggrin:

375 Win. 235gr, 28 gr H4198.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bronco Archer,

It looks like you and your rifle are in tune with each other! That load ought to do just fine on those wild broncos (the Ford kind) in Texas. I can shoot like that with open sights, too - at 5 yards. My Marlin does just as well at a hundred yards with my cast bullet load. This cartridge does very well with cast bullets.

Hey guys, don't forget to discuss your reasoning and decision-making for why you configured your rifle as you did. This will provide much-needed information to less experienced folks.

You all have provided some good input.

Thanks a-bunch and keep it coming!
Rushbeau

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Well, I finally got around to replacing my "80" 375 bought in 1980, (traded it for a car, but thats another story). My current 375 is an "83" (bought earlier this year from a fellow member) it is now configured with a WWG (happy trigger), Williams WGRS rear, RPP big loop lever, and is scoped w/2X scout mount.

UPDATE...after shooting with the scout set up, I find that I just can't get used to "forward" mounted scope.
so it's back with my old stand by (read that as favorite). Williams "Ace in the hole" base with the Leupold
VXR Patrol firedot (1.25X4).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations big hole!:congrats:

I also installed a trigger happy kit in my rifle, and I've been well-pleased with it. Midway USA had them in stock earlier this week if anyone is interested in purchasing one. I tried aftermarket hammer springs, but none was reliable. The factory spring does just fine, though. Does the big loop lever help you in some way? Do you prefer a long eye relief scope to a standard scope? Could you describe how you hunt and your hunting environment and how the scout scope helps you?

Thanks!
Rushbeau

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine's a stock M375 wearing a Williams peep. This is my third 375. The first two wouldn't / couldn't group well so I sold them. Then, I discovered the wonders of cast bullets in these rifles!

Einhorn

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
I got mine in early 2013. My intentions were to find a load it liked and hunt with the factory sights. However, one of the front sight ramp screw holes was stripped. So, the day before opening day of WI deer season I mounted an old steel tube 2-7x Weaver in my dad's old Weaver rings from the 1950's. It shot under 2" @ 100 yards and I sighted it in 2" high at that distance. The next morning I made a nice 120 yard shot through about s six inch hole in some pretty thick brush. The picture below is the end result.

The Weaver is quite classic for that rifle, but too bulky. I think I will stick to the open sights or replace the bulky Weaver with a straight 3x Weaver or 2.5x Leupold of the correct time period.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Howdy einhorn,

It seems you are another enthusiast who has discovered how well cast bullets work in the 375 cartridge and the Marlin rifle. Congratulations!

bassetman,

That's a good lookin deer! You made a great shot. You also took a great photo (good composition). I agree with you about telescopic sights. I wish I didn't need a scope on my rifle. I find long scopes to be too big and heavy for my tastes, but they do work fine. I finally had to replace my 1.75-6X32 with a 2.5X20 Ultralight. The new scope is very short and light, and I mounted it in low Weaver rings on a Weaver base. In this configuration, the rifle is almost as light and handy as it was in the factory config.. I think I may need to switch to a four-power scope, but I want too keep it light and small. I find I prefer a1" scope with a 20mm objective lense. I don't notice any degradation in the image with a 20mm lense, and the small lense allows for very low mounting.

Those are some good posts guys! Keep 'em coming.

Happy hunting,
Rushbeau

·
Registered
148 Posts
Purchased mine in December 2013 and mounted a Weaver 1X3 in Burris Signature Zee rings. This fall will be its first season in the swamp looking for whitetails and hogs. Don't think I will have any problems with anything that walks in front of my stand.

Thomas

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big T,

If a deer mugs you after you shoot him with your 375, you need to move. I have read that some of the guys who hunt the swaps in Louisiana find the Trijicon Reflex II very useful. Have you ever tried hunting with a reflex sight on a levergun? If you have, do you have any advice for someone who might be considering such a sight?

Thanks for the input, BT.

Happy hunting!
Rushbeau

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry Rushbeau, never tried a Trijicon. I am a believer in the Weaver's for what I consider my larger caliber leverguns since I don't see shooting at stuff much past 100 yards with them. If I choose one of the stands with a longer shot possibility I use a different rifle. If I was to tell certain unnamed family members I was able to use the same rifle for all of my hunting I would lose my excuse to have more than one rifle in the safe. :biggrin:

Thomas

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Rush...I install "happy triggers" in all my Marlins. I like the feel and the way they break at the shot, as far as the lever goes, just a cosmetic thing (no advantage/disadvantage) the scout scope set up is just something that I wanted to try on this rifle. (This will be my first year to actually hunt with this set up)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rush, I've become partial to the Lyman 375449 bullet at 264 gr sized to .379". Placed over AA5744, it groups well at 100 yards and packs sufficient punch to down our south Texas white tails. I like the gas check on this bullet, but also run the Laser cast 240 gr plain base over Unique or Trail Boss. These are a blast to shoot and relatively quiet - particularly Trail Boss loads.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks einhorn! That's some good information for the team.

I would think your load would do just fine with just about any game in the U.S. You might want to ask BroncoArcher his opinion about using them on wild broncos (the Ford kind) in Texas. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts