·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
You can't have just one!

Reactions: RickFoster

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
When you get your TC, take out the slot head clean-out screw just under the nipple, and replace it with an allen headed one. Put the allen wrench in the patch box. You will have a lot less trouble when it's time to clean the rifle. I did mine about 35 years ago and never looked back. Congrats on getting a great rifle. The stock on mine fits me better than any other long gun I have ever shouldered.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I've got a hawken but it's not a TC. Its CVA. Got two barrels for it too. 54 and a 50. I want a flinter though. Mine is a.capper.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
You need to get a smoothbore or a shotgun, maybe a couple of pistols too. :biggrin: There isn't an end to it :tee:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a pair of T.C. Hawkens. One I built from a kit thirty some years ago in .50 cal and a .45 I just picked up a couple of years ago. They are great guns.

Problem is I want the Seneca in .36. The prices of all of these have gone through the roof.....

What is a fella to do???

I already called a couple of custom BP makers. Looking at a custom...

Here is the .45:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm just getting back in to shooting muzzleloaders, which I did quite a bit in the 80s and 90s. Just missed it and, it is one way to beat the ammo shortage. Wanted to stay with TC, because that's what I used to shoot, but will branch out and try some others, eventually. Just waiting for the snow to melt so we can get out and shoot, these. I also have a couple of Encore 209x50s, but can't see shooting muzzleloaders and not shooting traditional, too. My husband has never shot muzzleloaders, so this will be a completely new experience for him.

Top one is an early, pre warning 4 digit serial number in 45 and the bottom one is a later vintage, six digit serial number in 50. I outfitted both with TC peep sights which were not easy to find or cheap, but I do like peeps on these.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Rick F., a fine collection you have there sir! I'm trying to chase down another long gun myself, traditional sidehammer of course!

Miss NCG, I like the peep sights on your TC's, been thinking of putting them on my Lyman Trade Rifle.

Reactions: RickFoster

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There is nothing quite like American longrifle. Some variation of it has been made by craftsmen since the 1700s the best are being made now. The European replicas are often really ugly, but shoot well. The halfstock plains rifle is another story. I think the TC Hawken has a place in that style. It is very close to some original rifles in design and style. Mostly it has a shorter barrel and more robust stock. Lots of the original period rifles have broken stocks. I don't think the TC will break easily. But I'm not a real authority

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
My wife purchased a TC Hawken 50 caliber kit for me as a Christmas present back in 1982. I finished it and assembled it in about a month. I had to have the barrel blued by a local gun smith. The bluing came out fantastic. I finished the stock with Tue Oil.... about 10 coats. Harvested a few deer with it. I use buffalo bullets in it with 100 grains FF pyrodex. Shoots like a dream and fits me like a well worn glove. If I bring this rifle to my shoulder with my eyes closed and open my eyes when ready the sights are dead on. The only weapon I own that fits me that well.
Was considering getting a .32 caliber muzzle loader for small game hunting. The Crocket is a nice one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts