Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
I owned the Katahdin in 45-70 and really liked it. The rifle was "The Perfect" treestand rifle; short, light and plenty of med/moderate range power. The 45-70 is said to be more accurate than the 50 S&W in the T/C but I never owned the 50 so can not attest to that. Killed bears and hogs with no problem.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I saw a T/C Encore in .45-70 at a Pawn & Gun Shop, in WV, in January, for $450.00.

It was in really good shape other than the fact that someone had removed the scope/mount and didn't replace the filler screws.

I would think that with a rifle that light, it's gotta 'thump' your shoulder!
What was it I read, here on MO. . . . "It kills on one end and maims on the other." Yep. That would be appropriate. ;D

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I like those lil rifles too...and have looked at them several times on the net, but I can't seem to find a reliable answer on what level of pressure that action will take.

Will it handle "Marlin loads" at 40,000 cup?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the pro hunter kat comes with the flex tec stock. Suppose to really help with recoil.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ridgerunner665 said:
I like those lil rifles too...and have looked at them several times on the net, but I can't seem to find a reliable answer on what level of pressure that action will take.

I have a 24" standard taper regular Encore barrel in 45/70. I call T/C some years ago asking about the pressure levels for it and their reply was "modern lever action loads". I am having no problem with them, however with the snythetic stock and forearm you do feel the recoil, even with a Limbsaver recoil pad.

I also have a 18" Katahdin 12 gauge barrel that I shoot 3" magnum 2 oz. turkey loads with that same stock and frame and the 45/70 is quite a bit tamer.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have a 20" 500Mag barrel - quite shootable, it will do 1.5-2" at 100. It's out of commission at the moment as my daughter's fiance was using at last fall and didn't have it tied well and as he was lowering it from the stand the knot let go and it hit on the scope when it fell. The mount is now loose - 2 of the holes are stripped out and it is at the gunsmith to be redrilled and tapped. Don't know about the scope yet; I'm going to put it on a 22lr and see what happens.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ridgerunner665 said:

I shot Marlin level loads all the time without incident. The Encore can handle much higher pressure loads and is chambered for some formidable cartridges. One inch groups @ 100yds are possible with favored loads. I had the forearm shimmed down and the trigger redone by Bellum TC. Other than that the rifle was stock.

Notice that I said that I "had one"? I traded it in on my 1895 SBL - aren't you all proud of me? ;D ::) ;D LOL

·
Registered
476 Posts
Found this old thread. Thinking seriously about getting the 45-70 Katahdin barrel to go along with my .50 cal Pro Hunter. Ridgerunner, did you end up getting one? Anyone have any other comments to add? There's a couple of positives I think. I like that it comes with fiberoptic sights. It's short and handy (packable). And I have read that rimmed cartridges do well in the break-open actions.

Anything else to add, good or bad?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a brand new Encore Pro Hunter .45-.70 Kat I am thinking about selling,never fired it....I am in a wheelchair and am thinking it might be too light of a rifle for me to shoot without dislocating my shoulder....:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
The 45-70 does a good a job of dispatching pigs and bears, even in the little Kahtadin package. As much as I enjoyed the rifle, I am happy to have a quick second shot available in my 1895. I have put a second round on a large black bear more than once. It's not that it was really necessary, it was just to end it all quickly when it didn't die instantly.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I originally bought the T/C Encore with 24" barrel in 45/70 (brand new at $450, thought it a fair price), but found it too light in weight for substantial 45/70 loads. The barrel was traded off in a Marlin 1894 trade and cash. Currently the receiver spends time with a MGM .22 Hornet barrel (very accurate) and a un-tested .357 Remington Maximum barrel. I'll agree in the original configuration, a nice compact set up for a tree stand. I'd much rather shoot heavy 45/70 loads from my 1895. If I go the single shot route again in this caliber again, it'll be in a Ruger No. 1.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a Prohunter with two barrels in 30-06 and 375H&H both barrels were shortened from 28" to 22" makes a nice short compact hunting rifle but I have a desire for a 15" - 18" 45-70 barrel. In Canada it is legal to install short barrels onto our long guns as long as the overall length is greater than 26" and the barrel was manufactured to the shorter lengths, you cannot shorten a long barrel shorter than 18.5" that would be illegal. I would load my Marlin 1895GS 45-70 loads and use this combo for a light camp/backpack defense and occasional hunting combo.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have the TC Pro Hunter Katahdin in 45/70 and it is a great little rifle. I use mine with a Leupold 2X7 scope and a Burris FastFire II. I interchange them based on what sort of cover I'm hunting or just what suits for the day. The l4ittle carbine with the Burris FF on it is extremely handy, light and accurate.
I shoot Hoanady LE 325's, Federal Blue Box 300 gr. HPs and HSM 400 gr. Speer loads and they all are very accurate from this barrel, with the Hornady being the most accurate. All groups within 11/4" and the Hornady will put 5 shots into one raged hole at 100 yds.
The accuracy of this little gun exceeds any of my other TC Encore barrels.
Great hunting carbine.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I have the T/C Contender Carbine. It's the early (first) model and in a different caliber(s).

I love it. It's very light and easily carried. I've been looking for the .45-70 barrel for it with no luck.

The Encore model is a beefed-up version and will handle high-pressure calibers that the Contender Carbine would not (eg. .270 and .308.)

It is very accurate and well made - just like all T/C products.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts