Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Sounds like a TC Encore. They also have Contenders in lower pressure rifle and pistol rounds in lengths from 16- 23”. Only have experience with muzzleloader Encores but much experience with many Contenders. They are well made and shoot great.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
They had 2 triggers, the front one was a set trigger. I had one with 22-250 and a extra 280 barrel. I will never forget sitting up in a tree and seeing three small bucks chasing a doe. the bucks were one behind the other when they appeared but I did not have a shot but the spike who was last in line stopped in a small clearing and I shot him with the TCR with 22-250 barrel and he ran off, I thought I missed, I looked up and the doe and two bucks appeared in the clearing but I had on two pair of pants and my shells were in my first pair of pant underneath my outer pair. I was frantically digging for cartridges and right when I put a shell in the gun and closed the action they were gone. I was cussing my luck when I looked in the clearing and the spike buck I had shot appeared and he stretched out with front feet way out and back feet way back and I could see blood on his front leg so I shot him and down he went. I thought to myself that I did not like having to deal with a single shot rifle so the next day I was back in the same tree when a five point came walking into the clearing with his head down. I shot and he fell as if poleaxed, hit him right above the eye. A little while later a 7 point appeared and I shot him and he tipped over. I was shooting a 35 SC Marlin with 200 gr Remington core locks on the last two deer and they were the same deer that got away unscathed the day before. Whenever I hear the word TCR this memory surfaces.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
There was a TCR 83 with the double set trigger and then a later TCR 87 with a single trigger. They were an expensive gun in their day and sales were poor. Not many were produced. Then TC had a disastrous fire in the mid 90s in the part of the plant that made the TCR. Getting parts, now, from TC is no longer possible and TC no longer services the gun.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I had a TC 87 in 7mm mag. It was ok but not up to BA accuracy. I was shooting 175gr bullets in my BAs and the TC 87 really booted
you. I backed down to 154 Hornadys and it was tolerable. It had a rough break down, maybe from heavy loads from previous owner.
I really didn't like it that much and traded it off in a short time. That's the only one I've owned. I've had several contenders and have
run into rough breakdown before. That's why I think this is caused by excessive use of heavy loads, knowing the history of some of
the one staked on trade.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I just picked up a TCR 83 Aristocrat in 22 Hornet last weekend. It's a very pretty rifle. It doesn't look like it's been shot. I haven't shot it yet, but I have loaded up some rounds to try. It has the double triggers. The one to set the second is a horrible 10 pound or so pull, but the set trigger is letting off at a consistent one pound. It came with a TC 4x scope and adjustable mount. When I put my magnetic bore sighter on, it was dead on. Hope to get out with it tomorrow. Sorry for the bad cell phone picture.
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I had one the 83 in 30-06 and mistakenly used the set trigger as it does not require setting the front trigger to use the rear trigger, just more pressure needed. Back in with '86 or '87 I was hunting the Uncompahgre Plateau in Co and the first day of elk/deer combined season opening, right at dawn sitting for an hour previously in 20 degree weather freezing my haunches and other regions nearby a 4x3 bull comes crashing through with several cows in tow no more that about 25 yards broadside to me. I squeezed the set trigger and as I was lowering my rifle to shoot halfway down I fired a warning shot :frown::mad: To this day am kicking myself in the arse for not knowing better. The only consolation was the very next day I shot a 4x5 Mulie with the same rifle at about 40 yards while loping through the Aspens but this time did not use the set trigger and it went down a few steps after firing. The trigger without the set is clean and crisp so all went well. The 06 kicked like a mule and the other 7mm mag I owned that were heavier kicked much harder than that T/C so I can only imagine the kick of the one your describing. The barrel lengths those came in I don't believe included 18", so I would clarify if that is original or not. My 06 was a 23". If it's been shortened it would lower the value considerably.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sounds like a TC Encore. They also have Contenders in lower pressure rifle and pistol rounds in lengths from 16- 23”. Only have experience with muzzleloader Encores but much experience with many Contenders. They are well made and shoot great.
I have a TC Contender with a 16.25" barrel in 45-70. When fitted with a buttstock, it is an awesome treestand rifle but I call it "Thumper" for a reason. My best to date with it is a nice 8 pt. whitetail with a 22" spread. Field dressed 147 pounds on DNR scale at check in.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
My brother has a Contender carbine in 375win. it's not that bad of a kicker and is a good woods deer gun. He is sticking to the 200gr
Sierra, which is plenty for deer.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have one in .22 hornet also, very nice little gun. the set trigger was so stiff I thought it was broke and took it back to the owner, afraid I was going to break something.
I thought the same thing. When I tried it when first looking at it I thought it was broken also. The owner said "just pull harder". It's kind of ridiculous. If I pull slowly and evenly like I would do on any other trigger I just about run out of finger strength before it sets. I settled on the technique of just pulling hard and fast. The momentum seems to help it set easier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.