Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you live and learn I guess. I picked up a TC Venture bolt action All Weather for a very low price at our local gun show and it has really impressed me. I took it out yesterday with some Superformance 139 grain SST's and the rifle was a 3/4 incher at 100 yards and recoil was mild. I mainly bought it for a friend but now I think I will keep it, my friend was looking for a 30-06 but I got it so reasonable I think I will hunt with it. It is stamped TC and has the S&W stamp since S&W bought TC out. The rifles are a cheaper version of the ICON but it appears to be well made and it is very accurate and comfortable to shoot. I would recommend these to someone just starting out strictly because of the price. The rifling in these barrels i called 5R which is more rounded and they say it produces better accuracy and they say the barrels are match quality. It seems that TC and S&W did something right.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The T/C Venture rifles are the "Sleeper" in moderately priced bolt guns. Never read a post by a T/C venture owner whose rifle did not shoot under a inch. The Hornady SST bullets can be quite explosive on Deer.....you will find out this fall.

C.D.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've never really looked one over. I too keep hearing good things about these guns. Congrats on the new rifle.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you on the SST's to some extent having seen quite a few deer killed with them. Seems the explosive effect comes from up close and personal shots that hit bone but I have seen some kills say at 100 to 150 yards where there was a quarter to 50 cent size hole on exit and they performed very well. I plan on shooting deer behind the front shoulder with them anyhow and may not even use them because I primarily go the handload route on all my guns.

·
Super Moderator
23,471 Posts
You will love that 7-08 caliber, if you are not familiar with it.
I have hunted with one for many years. Killed many deer/hogs.
I like 120's but that's just me.

·
Registered
11,601 Posts
I agree with navajo above, and became a big fan of the 7mm-08 caliber, so think you will enjoy it as well. I bought a rifle in it for my oldest son when a teen years ago, and he still uses it for about everything today; and a real tack driver. I have planned to get a BLR in the 7mm-08 myself, to go along with his bolt action... :biggrin:
Enjoy...

Reactions: Flyfish
1 - 6 of 6 Posts