Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taylor's and Company has hosted an Open House at their company HQ in Winchester, VA for the past five years or so. The latest edition was this past week--held during May 18th and 19th. Taylor's is a major importer for Uberti rifles and pistols--plus they do some onsite tuning on the higher priced Ubertis prior to being released for retail. The missus and I went up there yesterday to see what they had on sale and also to look at what was in their "ding and dent" inventory. I was lucky to find a very slightly dinged NIB Colt Army 1860 conversion revolver in my favorite pistol caliber--44 SPL. Other than some very faint marks on the handle bottom--the pistol is pristine. That one came home with me since it was priced 150 bucks cheaper than what I had seen online--if one can be found as its a discontinued caliber offering at present. There were free BBQ hamburgers and hotdogs, a fast draw contest (with blank ammo), a 1911 9mm handgun raffle, and door prizes being given away every half hour. All in all--it was well worth the trip. BTW--the missus and I went into old town Winchester to go through a Civil War museum (Old Town original courthouse) and try out some offerings from the local micro-brewery (great stuff!). The exhibits in the courthouse were outstanding--all kinds of muskets, Spencer repeating carbines, sabers, expended musket balls, uniform items, expended and unexpended artillery ordnance, plus Civil War era letters and official correspondence were on display. We are definitely going back to investigate the other museums in the area.
Gun Revolver Fashion accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Only 44 SPL 1860 Colt Army conversion revolver Taylor's had in-house for sale. It came home with me.....

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a fantastic day. And you brought home a beautiful 44 to top it off. Congratulations!
Yes, it was definitely a great day. If we had more time--there were other museums to visit, such as Stonewall Jackson's HQ and George Washington's 1750s era office

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taylor makes a nice reproduction Spencer if I remember correctly.
Yes they do and many other things--High Walls, Winnie '73s, Colt revolving carbines, Winnie '92s--etc.

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
Jay, that would be a memorable day. I'd love to visit the museums you mention. Nice snag on your Colt Army 1860 conversion and chambered in 44SPL simply makes it sweet!

One that I'm wanting is the 1851 Navy Open-Top in 45 COLT and attempting to make up my mind between the 5.5" and 7.5" barrel. You gotta love those sexy open-tops!

Don't even get me started on their long guns, they have a good number that I'd love to have.

Jack

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay, that would be a memorable day. I'd love to visit the museums you mention. Nice snag on your Colt Army 1860 conversion and chambered in 44SPL simply makes it sweet!

One that I'm wanting is the 1851 Navy Open-Top in 45 COLT and attempting to make up my mind between the 5.5" and 7.5" barrel. You gotta love those sexy open-tops!

Don't even get me started on their long guns, they have a good number that I'd love to have.

Jack
Jack---
They had a few long guns in the "ding and dent" building but I couldn't afford 1000 bucks for one right now. There were even the take down Alaskan models on display! A few Open Tops were in the "ding and dent" but I can't remember if any of them were Navy models. The 44 SPL Open Top kinda garnered all of my attention at the time!

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got me a hankerin' for an Uberti 1876 Centennial in .50-95, but I have a better chance of going bowling with Elvis.....
Yeah--they come at a very steep price.

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds like a great spring weekend, sure is pretty up that way! and looks like nice guns too...............
The great thing was we visited Winchester between the rain storms. The sky was overcast and very gray but no precipitation during our three hour stay. It has been very wet up in our area for the past week or so.......

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
That's a deal no self redspcet'in 44 lover could pass up! There was one of those in .357 at my LGS about 3 weeks ago, but at twice the price! And I was considering it, briefly. If it had been a 44, no question. That is one fine deal, and a day well spent with the missus too. Congratulations on stealing that one!

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great looking .44! You got a real beauty!

I couldn't be happier with my Taylor and Co. 1873 Cattleman with birds head grip. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Keith
Thanks! I have a Taylor's 1858 Remington Army 45 Colt conversion revolver and the thing is very sweet. I am sure this revolver will be a winner as well when I get the time to shoot it! LOL!

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a deal no self redspcet'in 44 lover could pass up! There was one of those in .357 at my LGS about 3 weeks ago, but at twice the price! And I was considering it, briefly. If it had been a 44, no question. That is one fine deal, and a day well spent with the missus too. Congratulations on stealing that one!
Thanks Kerry! The reason these 44 SPL model Open Tops are expensive is they aren't being made at present. Sure wish they were!

Reactions: JACKTW and kraynky

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
Thanks! I have a Taylor's 1858 Remington Army 45 Colt conversion revolver and the thing is very sweet. I am sure this revolver will be a winner as well when I get the time to shoot it! LOL!

LMAO, not having enough time to keep up shooting what you purchase suggests you need to send some my way. I'll shoot them and report if they're a keeper or not. :flute: :biggrin:

Jack

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
LMAO, not having enough time to keep up shooting what you purchase suggests you need to send some my way. I'll shoot them and report if they're a keeper or not. :flute: :biggrin:

Jack
I got to shoot my "new to me" JM 308MX first. Somebody on MO suggested that I get a JM 308MX. I wonder who that was.......? LOL!

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
I got to shoot my "new to me" JM 308 MX first. Somebody on MO suggested that I get a JM 308MX. I wonder who that was.......? LOL!
I have no idea, Jay. But whoever it was they're a genius! :laugh:

Jack

·
Super Moderator
26,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have no idea, Jay. But whoever it was they're a genius! :laugh:

Jack
He will be a real genius when he moves out of CA! LOL!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.