Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's one on clearance sale here. It has a mil-dot reticle. Any users here willing to comment? I'm not sure what a mil-dot reticle is- it's always been a duplex or fine cross hair for me...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Doc, a Mil-dot reticle is one with little dots on the stadia wires, both vertical and horizontal. These dots are spaced a very specific distance apart and are used for range estimation and/or hold over for distance or to the side for windage. The Duplex reticles serve the same function but in a much more limited way. The space between the thick wires and the center or from one thick wire to the next also sub-tends a very specific distance. So, if you know the distance you can estimate the size of what fits between the wires, or if you know the size you can estimate the distance. The mil-dot gives you a lot more to do it with.
I don't like them. I find them too "busy". Now, I only target shoot, so I know the range, so it is not important to me to be able to figure it out through my scope. Hunters might find them more useful.
As for the Tasco. I've had a few, although never that particular model, and they have given me good service. The last one I got was a 4-16X-50mm. I also got a similar Bushnell Elite 4200. You can really tell the difference. The Bushnell cost twice as much, and you get what you pay for, in general.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Doc on sale here too , just picked one up for me :D

it has the duplex reticle plus the mil dots.. the mil dots on this varmint model is matched to most varmint calibers for the mil dots to be correct..

Mine going on 22lr... so the dots will no be accurate probably.. for the pirce I just figured I could ignore them .. :D . I haven't shot it yet.. too cold out....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Got one on my 17VS. Love it! The optics are pretty decent given the cost. A little bit too dark to shoot at 24x on the indoor range where I go. But outdoors it's great!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Anyone know the size of the center dot in M.O.A.? I guess I better get down and have a look at one before they are all sold...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Guys,
Where are they on clearance and what is the price?

I have the Varimit 2.5 x 10 on my 880SQ. Its ok but like many have said, you get what you pay for. The optics are not equal to a higher end scope.

Wannabe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doc,
Your question got me thinking since they had one of these scopes on clearance here at the Bushnell outlet. I meant to look up some info on the mil-dots but forgot about it. I poked around tonight and found a site that covers how to use them pretty well http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/mildot.htm. I think Gunner does a great job of summarizing why the mil-dot is useful in the last two paragraphs.

Here's a link that shows what the reticle look like at the bottom of the page. http://www.bushnell.com/products/tech_talk/riflescopes.html

In case someone doesn't want to follow the links one mil = 3.5 MOA but that is not the size of the dot. There is a space between the dots and it's 3.5 MOA from the top of one dot to the top of the next so the dots themselves must be about 1.75 MOA.

Wuchak

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
wuchak your dot need removed from the end of first link so it will work LOL.. Honest mistake

DOC, I got other stuff that day, but recall it was 75 I believe.. I don't care about the mil dots.. I liked the power range of it.. half the price of a 6x18 ..I will suffer a little fuzzy for half price :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wannabe said:
Hey Guys,
Where are they on clearance and what is the price?

I have the Varimit 2.5 x 10 on my 880SQ. Its ok but like many have said, you get what you pay for. The optics are not equal to a higher end scope.

Wannabe
After caculating exchange rates, the price here is about equal to the 75 GJ spent. This is in a gunshop here...

http://www.sirmailorder.ca

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wuchak-

Thanks for the links. I was worried about the dot covering the ten bull on the BDT at 50 yds... from the diagram supplied it doesn't look like I should have much trouble. I'll run down in the morning and see if I can pick one of those scopes up.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
264 Posts
I too have the var2.5x10x42m version of this scope. Since this puppie is I guess original Tasco if it crapps the bed one day it would probably be cheaper to replace it. But it's held it's own on the 22mag. The windage knob lossened up on me once but an allen wench fixed that. I've bumped the scope against trees, the ground, its been out in all kinds of weather, and its never fogged up.
The 42 a/o helps out in low light, although I had to use high mounts to get this scope to clear on the 25mn. Since I don't use the mil-dot for its correct intention, but don't care, my opinion is it's not a fine dot but has never gotten in the way. In fact I like it for target acquisition. Glass quality, well as far as brightness goes it's no Grandslam but it doesn't suck.
Doc, what do you intend to put this on?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I've one on my 17v for about 3 years now and for the price it works great.
It's nice to have the extra power for shooting praire dogs in the head at 150 yards :p

Sturgis

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Doc .. although I darn near froze me fingers.. I went shooting to day to try it out.. Seems like its ok.. I was so cold (20F) and shaking so bad I would not have been able to hit a bull in the ass with a snow shovel if I was riding it..
But using just crap cyclone Rem 22 ammo it shot about 3/4 groups when I could hold it steady..
Using the Good Stuff Rustynuts shipped home with me long time ago.. (two years) they are subsonic and shot low but grouped touching .. I would say that the scope is good to go.. ..

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went and had a look at one this morning. I ended up passing it up in favour of a Bushnell Legend 5-15X 40mm A/O....

The Tasco was very dim in the upper power ranges- above 10X.... and I had troubles keeping the image from dimming out completely. No complaints about the reticle or crosshairs- there is no dot in the center- just a medium fine croshair intersection.

The Legend cost about 100 bucks more than the Tasco. The improvement in image quality sure does reflect the difference in price. I also looked at a Bushnell Banner 6-18X 50 MM A/O, but the size of that beast turned me off- I don't really want to use rings any higher than what I have on the rifle now- a Banner 4-12X 40 MM A/O is currently on the rifle.

Danurve- it's going on a Repro Winchester 52-B Sporting. I'll put the Banner from it on my wife's semi auto .22, if she wants it. If not, I'll put it on another fairly accurate .22 bolt....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Doc: I was looking at the banner 6x18 also. but for half the money I went cheap :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gunjunkie said:
Doc .. although I darn near froze me fingers.. I went shooting to day to try it out.. Seems like its ok.. I was so cold (20F) and shaking so bad I would not have been able to hit a bull in the ass with a snow shovel if I was riding it..
But using just crap cyclone Rem 22 ammo it shot about 3/4 groups when I could hold it steady..
Using the Good Stuff Rustynuts shipped home with me long time ago.. (two years) they are subsonic and shot low but grouped touching .. I would say that the scope is good to go.. ..
Glad you got out to shoot GJ! Maybe that scope will be bright enough to nail them GBT's in the head with at Shawnee!

I do a fair amount of hunting in deeply shadowed forest at times- that is what steered me towards the Legend. I think those dots are gonna come in handy for hold over- I'll have to give mine a workout to see where the dots lay at what yardage. I'll probably have arms like Hercules by the end of the 2005 Grouse season- the Legend weighs 22 oz and it's going on a 7 1/2 lb. rifle :wink: We've had a ton of snow here, and I don't know if I'll be able to make the gravel pit- maybe sling and x-country ski time- will likely ski into the bush off the highway and see what I can find for safe shooting....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
97 Posts
Doc,
I'm curious, why are you removing the 4 x 12 Banner? From what I've seen the Legend is a decent scope. I still havn't scoped my 52.
Wannabe

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wannabe said:
Doc,
I'm curious, why are you removing the 4 x 12 Banner? From what I've seen the Legend is a decent scope. I still havn't scoped my 52.
Wannabe
There's a small matter of maxxing the BDT at 50, 75 and 100 yds. While the Banner is an excellent scope, I don't think I'll be able to max the BDT at 50 and above with it- it simply does not have enough magnification. The Legend has finer cross hair wires too- a plus considering the ten bull is only a 1/2" dia.....

I think the Legend may be a step up Quality wise from the Banner line- the coatings look like Nikkor lens coatings on the Legend- dark emerald caotings. The Banner's coatings are a bright purple. I'll find out how they compare in low light.

Good luck on scoping your 52. If you need mount info let me know....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Doc.
That makes sense. Please let us, me, know how you like the Legend. Like I said I have looked at them.

I picked up the Burris mounts for the 52. Thinking about the Millet engraved rings. No idea on scope yet. It aint eatin any hay.

Wannabe

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some first hand impressions- I still haven't shot with the Legend yet-circumstances.....

I have it mounted on my 52 repro now, and it bore sighted witout me touching the adjustment dials- a first! The rings I'm using might have something to do with that, and maybe my mounting technique. I'm using the Burris to Weaver base "Zee" rings in medium height. Plenty of room there for the objective and dust cap.

The eye-bell is bigger than on the Banner :shock: I may have to look into modifying the bolt handle for clearance's sake. Overall length is almost 4 inches longer than the Banner, and just slightly dimmer with all that length between the front and rear most lenses. The cross hairs appear to be a little finer than those on the Banner. It actually looks quite good on the 52 repro to my biased eyes :wink:

For those who care about such things- manufacture origin as follws:

Tasco 6-24X 42 mm A/O = P.R.O.C. (China)

Bushnell Banner 4-12X 40 mm A/O= Korea

Bushnell Legend 5-15X 40 mm A/O= Phillipines

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 20 of 26 Posts