Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....so I have a couple of Marlin 39's and on one of 'em....I don't have....but want sling studs to help field carry: its a 39 Century Ltd.

I don't really like the mag-tube clamp stud idea....so I was considering tapping the front stock's brass fore-cap. It appears plenty thick to hold the Uncle Mikes short sling studs (which I have) and I have a 10-32 tapered and bottoming taps to install properly.

I'm just not too sure if this is kosher on these guns. ??? What say you....is this a no-no?...or a good plan? ???

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
I think it's something that I wouldn't do................But it can be done without any real issues. You won't need the bottoming tap, just remove the cap, and tap right thru. .........BUT..........

I'd search for a method where the sling was not permanent to the rifle, too..........Maybe a leather tie on sling, or buy another forearm cap, saving the brass one...........Just me, thinking............The Uncle Mikes clamp on studs work well...........don't NOT consider it.

If you decide to D&T the brass cap, I"d use some Loc-Tite on the threads of the stud.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Yep....I figured I would locktite the stud to the brass with the permanent juice.

I have not discounted entirely the mag-tube stud idea.....but those things have a way of slipping and coming loose (from a long-ago experience) no?

I am going to wait for a few more replies to get some more feedback. If anyone has a pic of one that has been added in this manner...that would be nice to see.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds like a great way to mount the sling, except for one little thing...

That 39LTD happens to be a very nice example of a very expensive .22 rifle.

With the demise of the old Marlin factory, it's become a bit of a collectable, too.

Drilling holes in it would probably reduce it's value somewhat.

Having said that, I personally have no plans whatsoever to sell any of my Marlins.

But doing something to reduce their value just feels Wrong somehow.

Know what I mean?

In the end, It's YOUR rifle so by all means do what makes you happy. :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
If it were me I would not do it. If I was going to I would either use the clamp on mount or buy a second cap that was taped or one I could tap for the front. I wound put the other swivel in the Marlin bulls-eye so it could be removed and repaired in the future if someone wants to. I know that sounds strange but screwing the swivel in the stock will do more damage than tapping the fore hand cap.

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
stubbfarmer said:
If it were me I would not do it. If I was going to I would either use the clamp on mount or buy a second cap that was taped or one I could tap for the front. I wound put the other swivel in the Marlin bulls-eye so it could be removed and repaired in the future if someone wants to. I know that sounds strange but screwing the swivel in the stock will do more damage than tapping the fore hand cap.
Good suggestion............. ;D ;D...............Evrything can then, be reversed.

Tom

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
If that cap is brass, and not plated, I would consider getting a piece of brass rod 4 inches long to facilitate machining and handling and drill the proper holes in it, cut to length finish the end, tap it, then drill the base of the stud to take a flat head screw from the inside. You may have to put a small indent in the wood to accomodate this. I would then make another the same way but use a double threaded anchor with 10-32 on one end and wood screw threads on the other. The brass would look natural and not deter from the overall look.

Bottom line, you have two, one with can be your field gun the other could be a range anything else gun, not necessary to have a sling on it. :)

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
I personally would ether get a steel one with the sling stud already on it, and save the original. Or check on E-bay, a seller sig279 has been selling brass ones from time to time,
and again keep the original.

He had one on there that ended on the 5/10 that he didn't sell. The starting bid was $21. It was listed as. "MARLIN 39 OCTAGON BRASS FOREARM TIP".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts