Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1895 and two 336s which both wear Lyman 66a receiver sights. These work great and I am acustomed to the sight picture. I recently purchased a 94CB in .45colt and will shortly pick up my 336CB in .38/55, which are not tapped for receiver mounted sights. In fact, I think installing them would obscure the serial number.

A previous poster on this forum said that tang sights are the way to go for the CBs. I am thinking of trying them, but these are hunting guns for me and I worry about losing zero if the sight gets bumped around. Also, I have heard (unverified) reports that the tang sights play havoc with the webbing of the hand between the thumb and index finger.

Any insights/opinions?

-Levernutt

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
The Williams sights use the back 2 holes on the top of the receiver, You can get the WGRS which I have on my 38/55 or you can get the FP sight. It takes about 2 minutes to install them and they are a great sight.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I may be the one that said the tang is the way to go for the CB's. But, that's just my opinion. I liked the way they looked and bought a rifle with one mounted on it then learned to adjust for it. Some people just don't adjust well. In my opinion they are not as in the way as they look like they would be. Nor are they as easy to bump around as it seems they would be. You do have to be a little more cautious so you don't break them, but they're pretty tough. If you do decide to go with the tang sight I highly recommend the Marble's. I have Lyman's on 4 rifle's and just installed a Marble's on my new .32H&R mag. The Marble's is a superior sight and well worth the few extra bucks. Midway has had them on sale quite often lately for around $100.
Use what you're comfortable with. Don't buy something just because some knucklehead on the internet says "It's the way to go." Find someone that has what you're looking for and ask if you can try it out. If you play Cowboy the reciever sight is not SASS legal. If you don't, it is pure preference.

My .02,
C.S.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Six to one, half-dozen to the other. I don't find myself agreeing with some of what Phil Sharpe wrote, but he had the same opinion of tang sights that I have come to hold. The last three tang sights I purchased all belong to other people now, so I'm a slow learner as to what works for me and what doesn't.

I got a new CB because I thought it would have advantages over the 1894C, not because I wanted a time machine. In keeping with the utility angle, it will get an XS receiver sight if I don't put a 2.5X scope on it first; if I were dead set on having the cowboy look, I'd probably pay for a d&t job, install a Marble's tang sight, and cuss the thing every time I jabbed it with my thumb or snagged it on something that shouldn't have been in the way.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I think part of the problem with a high recoil rifle is that the tang sight is right in the web of your hand. If you are shooting low velocity loads it may not be a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. Big Med, I just bought a 94C in .357 Mag that came with a Williams peep, so I'll see how I like it (pick it up next week). I do love those Lyman 66s, though.

CS, I am definitely not one to go out and buy something based on random 'Net chatter. It did seem like tang sights were the way to go, though, since I did not want to drill these beauties for a Lyman receiver sight (doubt it would be legal to deface the serial number, anyway). I will check out the Wiliams, though, since they can be mounted from the top with the pre-drilled holes.

Thanks, again.

-Levernutt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. Big Med, I just bought a 94C in .357 Mag that came with a Williams peep, so I'll see how I like it (pick it up next week). I do love those Lyman 66s, though.

CS, I am definitely not one to go out and buy something based on random 'Net chatter. It did seem like tang sights were the way to go, though, since I did not want to drill these beauties for a Lyman receiver sight (doubt it would be legal to deface the serial number, anyway). I will check out the Wiliams, though, since they can be mounted from the top with the pre-drilled holes.

Thanks, again.

-Levernutt

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Keep us posted and let us know what you come up with.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I have a tang sight on an 1893, and at first it did kinda get in the way....then I tried a different hold. I like a slightly longer reach to the trigger than some, so I gripped the rifle with my pinky outside the lever - presto.....longer trigger reach, and now my thumb clears the tang sight nicely. And boy, does it give a nice sight picture.....

Shum8

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Seems like as good a place as any to ask my dumb question about tang sights:

When I'd read the scope discussions on the old Marlin Talk, there would always be someone telling about a trip to the emergency room for a cut from a cheap scope with a short eye relief. Now the tang sights appear at least as close to the eye as a scope.

What keeps them from ending up under your eyelid?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hudson said:
Seems like as good a place as any to ask my dumb question about tang sights:

When I'd read the scope discussions on the old Marlin Talk, there would always be someone telling about a trip to the emergency room for a cut from a cheap scope with a short eye relief. Now the tang sights appear at least as close to the eye as a scope.

What keeps them from ending up under your eyelid?
Two things:

1. Do not lean your head forward, when shooting. Keep you head back, on the cheek of the stock.

2. Be a little cautious about every thing you do, when shooting.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts