Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple oddball sights (well one sight, and one base) at the gun show this morning. They were dirt cheap, so had to buy them.
I've figured out that the sight with base is for a Winchester Self Loader, and the base is for a standard Marlin mount.
My question is: Has anyone ever seen receiver style bases or sights that mount on the tang of a rifle? The sight abd base for the Winchester are a quick disconnect setup, so one knob removes the sight from the base. It's a "mortise and tenon" setup, so it re-zeroes each time. The other base is for a Marlin, and simply uses the regular mounting holes in the tang, and the standard Marlin receiver sight hole spacing to mount a sight.
Gave $3 for the base only, and $20 for the other complete, so it doesn't matter if I ever use them, but I thought they were pretty interesting.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've never seen those before. Interesting concept though- and likely designed for streamline/cost reduction of mfg. more than anything else. Any maker's marks on them? Sure do learn new things around here!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doc,
Nope, no maker's marks anywhere on either! I am sure they are not homemade though, unless someone had the ability to cast, since they are both cast steel, with machined mating surfaces.
I went to my Strobel's reference, but the closest thing I found there was a Vaver sight that looks much like the one on the left, but still not the same.
I'm like a crow with a shiny object when it comes to things that show some craftsmanship to make! Can't resist if they're cheap enough! :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
The base of the complete one looks like a No. 3 peep for Mossberg but the sight itself is different than the No. 3

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure-Shot said:
The base of the complete one looks like a No. 3 peep for Mossberg but the sight itself is different than the No. 3
The Mossberg #3 mounted on the side of the rounded receiver, rather than on a tang. If this sight was mounted on the side of a receiver, the sight would be off at 90 degrees.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bgl0b6 said:
look at some of the 99 Savage reciever sights,some of them mounted on the tang,I'm not sure which ones though
The Lyman 56S was one for sure. Also the Redfield model 70 and model 80 with L code were also for the Savage 99 tang mount.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

That looks like it to my eye. Found this glossing over BSA Martini's in one of my old gun books.

This particular sight appeared on both the BSA 12 and 13 models....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's the old Parker Hale sight for the 12/15 BSA Martini. Check page 137 of Nick's book on old sights. You'll see a similar sight for the Vickers Target Rifle about mid-left of that page. I had one of those sights once, but a friend talked me out of it, as he had a gun for it, and I didn't.
At the top of the same page is the commonly found BSA sight also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts