Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I was just wondering if there are any tricks in keeping the elevation settings from coming loose when using a tang sight. My worst offender is on a Remington 14 with a tang sight. I see that Marbles has a locking collar for the elevation screw but all I have are Lymans and they don't have a locking collar. After shooting, the elevation collar vibrates loose and so does the elevation setting on the stem. Someone once told me to put a dab of epoxy on it and then if you want to change it you can just heat it with a match. I am not real excited about doing this and just wondered if anyone had better ideas? THANKS!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
A couple things to try, and the last one will fix it fior sure!
First try pulling the stem off, and then remove the adjusting collar. When you get it off, you can spread the threaded shaft a little, to put more pressure against the collar and threads.
If that doesn't do it, then use a drop of non hardening Loctite. That will definitely hold it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marlinman93. Which locktite is non hardening? Would it be the low strength purple? Also, would you put it on the collar threads or the stem? Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
wiktor......haven't tried this, but just popped into my head. Might try wrapping the threads with the teflon plumbers tape to get a tighter fit on the threads. Wouldn't damage anything and you might still be able to adjust if needed. Easy to remove if it doesn't work well enough.

max

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The purple. I've tried the plumber's teflon tape, and it works too, but it tough to keep hidden under the threads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts