Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my first cowboy pistol caliber shillouette match earlier this month and am hooked. I'd like to replace the factory sights and install a Marbles #009804 tang sight on my Marlin Cowboy Limited .357/.38. I'm considering the addition of a Lyman #3201150 globe front sight but don't know if this is the correct one to accompany the tang sight. My concern is having the right hight. How does one determine which globe sight is correct?

I also plan on eventually installing a Wild West replacement trigger.

Thanks,

Cleburne

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey C,

Welcome to MO.

Not sure if the SASS "permits" the globe sight. Check the rule book.

The Skinner front sight is "good to go".

Later, Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark. But it's to be used for cowboy shillouette, not SASS. I'm a traditionalist and prefer the classic look of the tang sight over the Skinner. Just need to be certain I match the correct globe front with it.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
First off I don't know what range those matches are shot at, but I will assume 100 yards?

I would go as low as possible to get the most range out of a Lyman tang sight. I think that's the 17A IIRC?

If you go too high you might have to turn up the tang sight too much for 50-100 yards loosing much of it's effective range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks LA. Yes, the club's range is 100 yards maximum. I appreciate the advice. The Lyman globe sight measures .700" from the bottom of the dovetail to the center of the aperture. I'll assume this is the one to get for use with the Marble's tang sight.

Edit: On second thought I maybe should try the tang sight first, then measure the needed height for the globe before purchasing it.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
That's pretty high. You said it best! Try the tang with your front sight first. You should try for a 50 yard zero with the tang at about it's lowest setting and see if your front sight needs to be lower or higher to get the 50 yard point of aim. Once your there you will get the most yardage from your tang.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the feedback LA. I'm looking forward to more fun shilouette shooting with my Marlin 1894 Cowboy Classic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
IIRC, you measure a sight by the height of the bead, not from the dovetail. I believe Brownell's has the formula for determining front sight blade height.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC, you measure a sight by the height of the bead, not from the dovetail. I believe Brownell's has the formula for determining front sight blade height.

QUOTE]

Thanks Gene. I'll take a looksee at Brownell's website.[/

·
Registered
990 Posts
Cleburne,
It sounds like you are getting started off in the right direction. Enjoy your new sport, its is very challenging and addicting! Talk to the other shooters, most everyone I have meet has been more than willing to share advice and information. Lee Shaver seems to me more popular with the group I shoot with as well. There are various replaceable inserts for his front sights also. good luck and happy shooting!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Globe front sight height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the center of the globe. Lyman offers one as low as about .415". Lyman's inserts aren't quite as nice as the Shaver insert sets. His are thinner or smaller if that makes sense. At 100yds it may not make a difference though. Hitting metal silhouettes is not the same as precision paper work.

Best to get the tang sight mounted and try it with the stock front. That will give you a feel for how low the tang sight goes before you get a front sight that falls below the tang sight's adjustment range.

Good luck!

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't know which Marbles you are looking at, I mean is it windage adjustable? The Shavers are adjustable and repeatable for both wind and elevation. The only problem I see with the Shaver is the lack of numbers on the staff for quick reference. I have 3 MVAs that I like much more than the Shaver but they are more money too.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
The Marbles is windage adjustable. A model like te Shaver or MVA might be overkill for a 357 at 100 yds. Unless the shooter intends to "go long" later the $125 for a Marbles makes more sense than $250+ for a Shaver or $300+ for an MVA.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The Lyman 17 front globe sight is not needed for regular SASS shooting which is usually 25 yds with occasional shots to 100. In fact it can be a hindrance when switching between targets. It is however better at ranges beyond 100 yds and for small silhouette when used with a Lyman or Marbles tang sight.

This is my 1951 DOM 336 converted to 38-55 with new/old parts. It has a Lyman tang and Lyman 17 front sight. It can repeatedly hit a 10" target at 300m with these sights.

Marlin 336 in 38-55 P2.jpg
DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cleburne,
It sounds like you are getting started off in the right direction. Enjoy your new sport, its is very challenging and addicting! Talk to the other shooters, most everyone I have meet has been more than willing to share advice and information. Lee Shaver seems to me more popular with the group I shoot with as well. There are various replaceable inserts for his front sights also. good luck and happy shooting!
Thanks MH, the Lee Shaver sights are much more costly than I had hoped but I do enjoy this sport, so the expense may be justifiable spread over time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Globe front sight height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the center of the globe. Lyman offers one as low as about .415". Lyman's inserts aren't quite as nice as the Shaver insert sets. His are thinner or smaller if that makes sense. At 100yds it may not make a difference though. Hitting metal silhouettes is not the same as precision paper work.

Best to get the tang sight mounted and try it with the stock front. That will give you a feel for how low the tang sight goes before you get a front sight that falls below the tang sight's adjustment range.

Good luck!
BFPGW, I think this is the prudent route to take. Thanks, I'll follow your advice.

I'll also take into consideration your comments concerning Marble vs. Shaver vs. MVA tang sights.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts