Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Just purchased 1964 336 RC chambered in 30-30. Rifle is in great condition, broke it down to give it the once over to be sure all was in working order. Cleaned everything and all parts are original with same SN (receiver, bolt, butt stock), then when I was reassembling it I noticed that there were two holes drilled where the tang screw passes through the butt stock. Made me pause for a second .... reattached the butt stock to the receiver to see the alignment of each of the holes. When the fit up of the stock to the receiver was tight only one hole was correct.

My concern is that the second hole, which falls directly behind (toward to butt end of the stock) the correct hole, was actually drilled so close that the is no material (wood) between the two holes for about 1/8 of the diameter of the hole. I think I need to fill this second hole so I do not have and movement issues.

Has anyone seen this before?

Any suggestions on how or what to fill this with?

Any and all insight or suggestions are welcome!!

Will post pic's soon....

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
To clarify, are the holes in the but stock or the tang? Or both?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
. P3190003.JPG P3190008.JPG P3190014.JPG P3190009.JPG
The holes are in the wood between the top & bottom tang, see pics.
Strange as it appears they might have been factory drilled as this stock is original to the gun as the SN is the same ???

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I have seen this on a good many Marlins over the years (3 or 4), I always speculated it was a factory fitment issue and still assume so. I personally never had a problem with loose stock on them and left them as is.

Reactions: Andrewpb

·
Registered
700 Posts
If it were mine I would glue in a piece of walnut dowel in the incorrect hole which would take all of 10 minutes. Might want to enlarge the incorrect hole to a standard dowel size first. If that leaves the good hole a little snug on the side closest to the receiver I would go easy on opening it as a little tension on the receiver side will help pull the stock into the receiver. But you just want a very little tension on it, not a drive the bolt through with a hammer tight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looks like the gun survived 50 years with no ill effects from this double hole so, it's a non issue. Even the normal (single) hole, the tang screw normally fits loosely and does not contact the walls of the hole so, I don't see a need to repair it - it's not broken.
Now, if that was a new remlin, it would be an ultimate proof of shoddy workmanship and complete lack of quality control... Since it's an old, original Marlin, it's OK Go figure... :vroam:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda crazy, I would have thought that in the early years (this rifle being a product of the early 60's) they would not make such a basic mess up ????
So you've seen this before .... well that makes me feel a little better knowing that this is possibly not a knuckle head mistake by a previous gun owner!!!
As it stands the fit up is good and tight but I'm concerned with use this might become an issue...
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe I will take your advice Daly and fill that additional hole and be sure not to make the tang screw fit to tight just snug so I can push it through with finger pressure. GPSMAPNUT I assumed the tang screw fit was loose but I'm going to fill in the 2nd hole anyway just for piece of mind.
Really like this gun, bought it off of Gunbroker and was exactly what I was looking for and as a bonus the action is smooth as butter !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts