Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a Williams peep sight on my daughters model 15yn, now I am in need of a taller front sight. I've done a bit of searching online with no luck, can anyone tell me if there is a taller sight made that will fit this rifle?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Not familiar with the 15, but replacement sights of a lot of different heights can be had from www.brownells.com. Usually come in three widths, "N" is what you need if replacing a ramp-mounted sight, "M" is what you need for a barrel-mounted dovetailed sight. The other is for octagonal barrels and such. In the catalog, Brownell's has a chart and some instructions for figuring out the exact height you need, not sure what's on the web site. Calipers needed. You can usually get pretty close by figuring out the difference in heights of the open rear vs. the new peep, then adding that to the current front sight height. If you have a barrel mounted sight now and can't get a sight blade high enough, there are ramps of various heights that can be added, lock into the current dovetail. See "Williams Shorty Ramp" in the catalog. Between the two sets of options, you should be able to get on target. If your calculations are between two available sight heights, go with the taller one. Easier to jack the peep up than to try to fille off the bottom to get it down.

Stan S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help, but unfortunately this model doesn't have a dovetailed front sight. The 15yn is a youth model bolt action, single shot. It uses the same front sight as the model 25, 60, etc. It is a one piece ramp and blade that mounts on the barrel with a screw. I can find replacement factory sights no problem, but nothing that is higher. I was hoping someone here might know of a source, otherwise I guess I will have to have one custom made, or give up on using the peep sight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts