Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my deer tags about 30 minutes ago and found out the early doe season opens tomorrow.
Only problem is we are laying off the does until we get some population back after the drought and disease in '12.

Sounded good anyway...

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
How bad did you guys get hit down there with EHD?

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had 21 dead on 160 acres. I'm guessing some of the neighbors had more?
Went from seeing a dozen does lounging in the pasture to maybe seeing one deer every 3 days.

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And actually we're up by you, western Knox Co. on the Niobrara.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
We got hit hard but I've seen quite a few lately. Monsters at that as well. Two weeks ago I saw two 6x6's side by side twice. Not sure if they were the same or not either. They would have gone quite a ways if they were the same.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I was gonna say if you are shooting in October this year the only permits you can get are the river permits.

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's right, I get the $11 River Antler-less plus the Missouri Regular Firearm.
Potentially I could hunt along 5 different rivers:
Elkhorn, Loop, Missouri, Niobrara, and the Platte

It will be interesting to see what we have on the 3 game cameras this trip.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Well I hope ya see some big ones this week.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
In 2009 the Mississippi biologist told our club we must kill at least 60 doe for the benefit of the herd. We killed about 40. The biologist upped the quota to 80 the following year. There it has remained till now and she is emphatic that we must kill at least 80 each year for the foreseeable future or the herd would be susceptible to disease and malnutrition. As a bonus we'd also see better antler quality.

To make matters worse we are seeing the pig population make rapid gains creating yet another threat to herd.

the biologist stated, with emphasis added, that EHD and CWD or something similar would rear its ugly head if we didn't get a handle on over population and kill every pig we see. Management is the key to herd health.

I think we're on our way. We have indeed seen better antler quality and increased fat on the kills.

Best to you both.

Ss

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
In 2009 the Mississippi biologist told our club we must kill at least 60 doe for the benefit of the herd. We killed about 40. The biologist upped the quota to 80 the following year. There it has remained till now and she is emphatic that we must kill at least 80 each year for the foreseeable future or the herd would be susceptible to disease and malnutrition. As a bonus we'd also see better antler quality.

To make matters worse we are seeing the pig population make rapid gains creating yet another threat to herd.

the biologist stated, with emphasis added, that EHD and CWD or something similar would rear its ugly head if we didn't get a handle on over population. Management is the key to herd health.

I think we're on our way. We have indeed seen better antler quality and increased fat on the kills.

Best to you both.

Ss

Completely agree with you and was saying it 3 or 4 years prior to the EHD epidemic we had. Our population was getting so high in one alfalfa field there were at 800 deer in it every night! Doesn't take long after that to start seeing nature balancing itself out if we don't help it along! I believe next year if we have good rains like this

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, out of 3 cameras, one had the batteries die, one had a SD card malfunction, and the last had about 20 pics on it. We usually get 50 to 70 pics per camera. Some of those are other animals but most are deer. Had one decent 4x4, tall but not very heavy and a young deer, consensus is to give him another year.

The doe situation is how I came to hunt that property. A good friend of mine is the primary partner in the club. They just couldn't keep up with the number of does that needed to be harvested out of the herd. I graciously agreed to leave the prime ground I had been hunting down in the Blue SE unit (/sarcasm) to help reduce the doe numbers for the club. After a few years and being accepted by the other members, I can now shoot whatever I want.

So now after the drought and EHD of 2012 the numbers are slowly rebounding. How do we know if or how many does to shoot?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Yes but are clueless! We had a huge over population which led to the EHD outbreak and in our area killed around 45% of the population. I had been saying for years they needed to issue way more permits!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes but are clueless! We had a huge over population which led to the EHD outbreak and in our area killed around 45% of the population. I had been saying for years they needed to issue way more permits!
Being from Louisiana, I always find other state's hunting laws odd since they are so restrictive compared to here. In LA, pretty much anyone can get a hunting license; all you need is to take a safety course. And, the limit for deer per person is 6 per season atm.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Being from Louisiana, I always find other state's hunting laws odd since they are so restrictive compared to here. In LA, pretty much anyone can get a hunting license; all you need is to take a safety course. And, the limit for deer per person is 6 per season atm.

Actually most of our laws are great. We can harvest as many as we want. We have no limit other than 2 bucks per year. Antler less we can keep getting them until permits run out. Problem is just they needed to issue more permits for doe at the time. Not the amount issued isn't a problem since the population is down.

·
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does your State employ biologists?
Yes, but I would have to agree with Bryan. I would trust a WAG by you more than an NGP Biologist. Don't get me wrong, there are some good people that work for the state, they are just few and far between.

We have 1/2 mile of river front and other hunters on all side. The crew across the river is especially fun to be around. The ammo shortage may have taken some wind out of their sails though. Two years ago they we driving up and down the river and shooting repeatedly into the brush, for hours on end. I can only guess that they had other shooters posted to take deer as they scared them out? I would never have believed it if I hadn't witnessed their bizarre routine through binos.

We have studied the whole QDMA paradigm, which is how we knew to take does. But after losing 3/4 of the herd , how/when do we start taking them again?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It seems almost counter to the health of the herd, the way they make their evaluations... our bios set up feeders and shoot them at night when they come to feed then take the fetus and evaluate from there. They are really pretty sharp and i belive headed off a mass die off like you guys had.

It is indeed tough to know when to start the harvest again. probably early is better than late, but if you're like me you don't like shooting doe to begin with. Just the way i was brought up in North Alabama.

Take care,

Ss

1 - 17 of 17 Posts