Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love everything about My 308 MX except the loading gate! It is so stiff that I'm afraid that in the cold weather I wouldn't be able to load it without leather gloves and a wood dowel. I have read on possible fixes and am willing to try them. My question is taking down the rifle with the safety. I have taken down both my 336 pre safety rifles and am comfortable doing so, is there anything tricky about the safeties? Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Short answer; nope.

Long answer; nothing different between taking down a presafety or cbs rifle. Open the action halfway or so. Pull the finger lever screw then the finger lever. Slide the bolt out and then get the ejector out. Done deal.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya that the easy part! but I need to tear it all the way down to get to the loading gate spring! Dennis

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Those guys (Eli Chaps, Swany, Leverdude, Marlinman, and others) over in the Gunsmithing section really know their stuff!

My new 338MX needed a little TLC with the action and trigger ;) It is way better now but still might need a little more of Swany's trigger medicine. I couldn't find my scale but I bet that thing was 20lbs (yes twenty) gritty and with 1/4" of creep. I don't know if I'll ever get all the creep out :'( but it's way less than 20lbs now! Also, the carrier was scraping on the magazine plug, kept finding red flakes inside the action after cycling ??? Stoned the front of the carrier ever so lightly and no more scraping ;D

After that I did the 308MX which really just needed a good cleaning...

-chris

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YA! they are Great and good teachers, I was nervous about having to deal with the safety but didn't have to and the rifle came apart just like the 336. I used a diamond stone on the loading gate spring and took off about .05 of metal but in the end I bent some of the curve out of the spring and got it where I wanted and now I can feed it alot easier and am happy with it. Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts