Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a nice take down case for my 39. Cabelas used to have some, but they dont really have what i want now. Anybody know were i can find somthing like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
papoose case

check out ace case.com. good source, used them for over ten years myself.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Is it a 39 TDS case you are after? I might know where to find a used one...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Mr Joe,
PM sent

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Unfortuneately no. I have found the 24" barrel section goes nice inside a fishing pole tube...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rifle Cases

I recently bought a 39A and have been shooting it alot. I should have got one years ago, lots of fun. I have on loan an original canvas takedown case. Being a leather worker I am in the process of making a pattern. Would you guys give me some thought on the design. Should they be leather, canvas, or a combination of the two ( canvas with leather trim )? I have also wondered about a separate pocket for the bolt? Any input would be appreciated. Fred [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I have the Marlin cases for both my Papoose and my 39TDS. They are handy for a trip to the range but for field carry inside my pack I don't use the case. Except for the "Marlin" logo the cases are non-discript enough that most don't recognize it as a firearm.

For Backpacking my Papoose is carried broken down, barrel placed inside a closed cell pipe insulation section and then slide into a nylon sack. The Receiver stock section is padded with extra clothing.

For my 39A I have a Fly Fishing tube that I put the barrel section in and strap that to the outside of the pack. Low key and protective. The Stock Section gets padded in clothing like my Papoose and carried inside the main compartment of my pack.

I haven't Backpacked with the 39 TDS yet but imagine I will do something similar to how I pack the Papoose.

The perfect setup for packing & range would be a lightweight compact cases with seperate sections for backpacking and that could some how be "nested" or combined when carried on its own.

A cool "western" looking case made out of leather would be a handsome addition too.

Most useful I think is as small as possible while stil affording some protection and being as light as possible.... Tough challenge but that's my $.02

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
H&R/NEF has a nice little case for it's Versa pack...click into the store section..

I wonder if that case will accomodate a regular sized 4X scope mounted on the barrel though ?

·
Premium Member
11,069 Posts
I have an unused Marlin 39TDS case. $60 +shipping. PM me if your interested. These are no longer made and hard to find.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I know this is an old post but I thought I'd give a suggestion here. I wanted to smuggle my 39A along with me while at work. I had an old Sears/Craftsman "Deluxe Truck Box" mod. #965468. It's a 30" flat plastic tool box that's design to fit under a truck seat. I lined it with some foam rubber from a craft store. The 39A fits in it with plenty of room for ammo too.

Just looks like another tool box I'm taking on a job !

BTW: I've been told that foam rubber could mar the finish if left in there too long. Anybody know about this ?

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
howie38 said:
BTW: I've been told that foam rubber could mar the finish if left in there too long. Anybody know about this ?
Probably refering to moisture - the foam can retain humidity and will cause rust if the rifle stays put for a while. Never a good idea to store a gun in a closed "container" for extended periods like that without some means of moisture removal.

Shum8

1 - 14 of 14 Posts