Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
A year old thread, but I'm going to bring it back to life.

My maternal grandmother had 18 inches of cancerous colon removed back in the late 70s. She lived to age 97 with no recurrence. My mother underwent surgery for colon cancer in 1995, but during the operation the doctors discovered that the cancer had spread into her liver; she passed away less than two years later.

I've had half a dozen colonoscopies since then, because of my family history. The only thing found has been a few polyps, which were removed during the procedure and before anything could develop.

Colonoscopies save lives. If your doctor recommends it, get 'er done. It's easy, and sure beats the alternative. I have two grandchildren that I have promised to be here for, and help grow up.

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
A VERY treatable cancer if caught Early! Get your colonoscopies...if nothin' else, you'll get a good sleep out of it!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I had one. Just routine but worth it. I understand most men find the idea of medics poking around our private areas unpleasant. Completely normal reaction. But, it could save your life which is a pretty serious matter. I have seen people I know die early and quickly from illness that may have been caught earlier. One went in a month! Not nice.

·
Registered
24,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had one. Just routine but worth it. I understand most men find the idea of medics poking around our private areas unpleasant. Completely normal reaction. But, it could save your life which is a pretty serious matter. I have seen people I know die early and quickly from illness that may have been caught earlier. One went in a month! Not nice.
me. ive lost 2 friends to colon cancer. one 38! one 45!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Helps if the doctor has a sense of humor. My last one, a year ago was in part because my red blood cell count dropped. The day of the procedure, the doctor told me, if he didn't see any problems up there he wanted to do an upper GI. I asked him to wipe off the camera first. He said they use a different rig. Afterwards I come to and he walks in and asks "do you have a funny taste in your mouth?" He gave me an all clear and come back in 10 years.

Seriously, get over your pride, fear, whatever; easy procedure to prevent a horrible way to die.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Best Nap you can have this side of the grass! And may even keep you on this side of it many years longer. To Quote Our "Favorite" shoe comp'ny - "Just Do It!"

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
Have had more than a dozen (medical reasons) and each time they find a polyp here, a polyp there, but it always turns out well.

I had two occasions (when I was on active duty) when I was awake and with no meds for the procedure. Lived through it. A little uncomfortable was all.

Nothing to it.

Make sure to get one when you hit that age group.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: cajun56 and JMAG54

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I put off having one until last year when I was 61. They found cancer. I was lucky as they were able to remove the cancer last July and there was no lymph nodes close by. I was on a bag for several months and then had to go through another surgery to rehook my plumbing up in January this year. Since the cancer was discovered I have had about 6 colonoscopy's of one type or another with the last one being last month and everything was good. It would have been easier if I had gone 10 years early and routinely there after. I am also very blessed that it had not spread.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
First time posting here. Guess you can call me a fatalist, but when my time comes I'm NOT going to go kicking and screaming! Unless it's cops coming to confiscate my guns. "If they come for me, I'll dang shore fight!" But that is another matter! I've had enough of docs and hospitals in my youth!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Just for the record, I was offered a scan recently in case of an Arterial Anurisum (Just below the heart). In the UK its free and offered to all men who hit 65. Its a scan and gel, just like a baby scan. My wife made me promise not to ask if its a boy, saying everyone will make that joke. So I asked the nurse if it would leave a scar?

Point is, if offered take it. Painless, easy and quick. Apparently one in seventy have a problem, which mostly just need monitering or is easy to fix.

·
Super Moderator
32,811 Posts
I have a appointment with doc on the 19th of this month and then we go from there! First one for me at 65......!

ca'jun56

1 - 15 of 15 Posts