Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Of course ... one or two you might say. I'm particularly fond of fighting shotguns. They are highly under-appreciated in today's tacticool zombihood Internet world in which the young folks loosely endeavor for post SHTF knowledge and potential personal defense from .... from whatever.

I have two favorites, different than most.

Benelli M4 outfitted with an EOTech.
Mossy 500 broken-in real good.
A dump bag and Black hawk bandoleer full of various buckshot, BB shot and slugs ready to grab and go, just in case.

And I practice a lot with the scatter guns. More than anything else. Shotguns are fun.

Meet Stonewall and Lee (my phone does not take good pictures) ...

Both are solid, reliable, well used scatterguns. Now, I've got hunting shotguns and plenty of them ... but I really like these two because they're made for 24/7/365 day use. They get shot and wiped-down regularly and they'll eat almost anything, although the M4 really likes them hot. The hotter the better for the M4.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Here's mine..
its got all the tacticool goodies on it.. the kid thinks its the coolest thing ever...
Its a Mossberg maverick 88.
just one of those things I had to have hiding behind the door..

started out as a youth model maverick 88 on sale at Dick's Sportinggoods for 179.99
added an ATI collapsable stock.
Red dot sight, pistol laser, and flashlight..
(the laser mounted perfect, and aims right thru the cutout on the flashlight mount, nice and tucked in between the dot and light...)
also have the mossberg 500 pistol grip I can switch out on it in minutes if I need to go that route also..

It started out as a novelty just to have it, but its alot of fun to shoot.
plus, its a mossberg, so the reliability factor is a big plus.

MOSSBERG2.jpg MOSSBERG.jpg

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'll post a pic of my 870 when I get home. Not exactly what I would call tactical. But it has a few upgrades.

Edit: here is a pic I'll try to get some better ones later. This is an 870 wingmaster I grabbed from a pawn shop for $150. I like the blueing and wood so I added a blued +2 extension and an 18.5in blued barrel. It is a '71 model so I've been updating it to remingtons flexitab system. It performs great and is smooth. I would like to get one of the shoulder bandoleer sometime. I like to keep stuff pretty simple. It is my primary home defense weapon.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Here is a couple other pics. Hopefully they are a little better lol.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Have a pump with a 22 inch winchoke. Whats way cool, is you can do deer drives with a full choke deer choke, come home put the cycl, or imp cycl choke back in it, and its ready for home defense again, very, very use full. Inter changeable choke tubes on a short barrel is something to consider. Plus you get to learn first hand about the actual effectiveness of buck shot. I like my shotguns clean with just a bead or open rifle sight. Trying to use an optic on a deer tearing thru the brush, well it just doesn't work as well for me. I suppose shooting in a home defense scenario would be similiar.

Hunting I use 3 inch OO buck, for home defense I use 2 3/4 inch 4 buck.

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have an 870 with the magpul stock/fore end, a cut down Stevens 311, and a really slick '97 winchester. While I love my short shotguns it would be the least likely thing for me to grab!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Mine's not very tacticool since it's shiny rather than black. It's an Armscor M5. It may actually be a dunce, since it spends most of it's time standing in the corner of my bedroom.
Armscor.JPG

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What Gallo mentioned about practice is paramount. In some ways, from a weapon handling perspective, a group of deer running towards you, is like a bunch of zombies running at you. Some guys will usually miss them all, and some guys will always pile up: one, two, three and sometime four. The difference is in: knowing where your shotgun actually shots, knowing the tested effective range of your load and choke and practice. We carry extra loads in our pocket, they get pulled\knocked from shell carriers by the hard knocks in the brush, thou in an urban setting they would be more pratical. Don't care for sling bandoleer full of shells attached to the gun, it can get to swinging around and disturb aiming.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Shotguns play a very big roll in any kind of SHTF, I don't really do tacticool very well, it seems to me I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. I also lean very heavy on Steel Shot, I've played with it enough to know just how devastating it is at it's useful ranges. Yes I still have my 4 and 00 Buck and shot, I also lean towards 3.5" guns as they will shoot any 12ga shell you Encounter. .

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Of course ... one or two you might say. I'm particularly fond of fighting shotguns. They are highly under-appreciated in today's tacticool zombihood Internet world in which the young folks loosely endeavor for post SHTF knowledge and potential personal defense from .... from whatever.

I have two favorites, different than most.

Benelli M4 outfitted with an EOTech.
Mossy 500 broken-in real good.
A dump bag and Black hawk bandoleer full of various buckshot, BB shot and slugs ready to grab and go, just in case.

And I practice a lot with the scatter guns. More than anything else. Shotguns are fun.
It just doesn't get any better than the M4! I have a solid 870 with the Eotech now, but that M4 is calling my name!

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Simple fit's with my thinking and budget so that's the direction I lean. More and more my 870 is my go to gun. Even during bear season I often tote my IC 12 gauge. Definently with me when picking (cutting) mushrooms, and scouting. First long gun I think of/grab when the place needs defendin', or the animals start acting wierd.

My son has a newer 870/3.5" chamber, I was noticing that the bolt has a small, telescoping piece on the chamber port side. I don't know why remmie started putting those on unless it's because of the larger opening for the longer shells (?).

Looking at maybe a new coach gun or a semi auto. I know my 870 fills the bill as it were, been thinking of the extra capability of a semi, but at the same time, I like the coach guns because they're reliable and not finicky on ammo.

I think about the JW movie "Big Jake" when he recruits his indian friend to go with him , he asks "near or far"? after the response, he (JW) hands him one of his "Greener's". Well I'm more and more at the "near" side of life LOL! and, I really like shotguns, simple,no frills, versatile extrodinaire, utilitarian tools, that really haven't changed all that much. Yeah, simple.

Reactions: ponycarman

·
Registered
151 Posts
Love my Turkey Tactical. Had to put nice recoil pad on it but other than that it's good to go. With turkey choke and factory sights punches nice big holes out to about 40 yards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Roe, another well composed picture!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I heard someone mention coach guns. Here is mine. Also not really tactical but it is a very handy size and shoots well. Its a couple inches shorter than my 870.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Ponycarmen, please tell us about the coachgun, guage, bbl length, make...........

Reactions: ponycarman
1 - 20 of 24 Posts