Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Hello. Good news everyone, seems to me your lever gun is already tactical. Most are short and light, can fire an effective cartridge and are mechanically reliable. They are easy to strip without special tools and can lay down fairly effective rapid fire. They were designed tactical.

You see in my opinion, tacticool is often overdone (not just on levers). If you want to fit all sorts of whistles and bells to your lever, go for it. Its your gun, your money. However how much of it is really going to improve your performance? Ask yourself the question. The late great Mel Tappin in Survival Guns, (a book I almost actually ate as a young man) said shooters tend to buy just about anything that looks promising. He was right, cause its fun. But for what improvement, exactly?

I respectfully suggest before buying or fitting extra bits we ask ourselves why we need it and what it will achieve. Some are just silly, others seem small but can make a big difference. Keep in mind with guns the more complicated we make them the more training and practice is required, the more to go wrong...

Remember: KISS

So, what extras help, and what extras not so much, and what extras just look cool (no harm in that by the way).
I totally agree. Just my opinion, but I think people add things onto their guns for aesthetics. An "add on", does not improves performance much if any, IMHO, aside from adding more weight and making the weapon cumbersome. But it does make it look "Cool". What is useful to me is a good set of sights, and or scope, and maybe a flashlight. And that's it. Another thing is you can put everything imaginable on your weapon. But if you're a bad shot or can't handle a weapon, than no amount of accessories is going to make you better.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
I've always considered the term 'tactical' as in its use, rather than what's attached to it.

Reactions: r80rt and tranteruk

·
Banned
19,622 Posts
Like a lot of things in today's World the term 'tactical' has been overused to the point where its original meaning has been watered down. Any Mall Ninja can purchase tactical clothing, tactical camping gear, tactical firearms accessories, and tactical stickers for his pickup topper. 'Tactical' joins 'premium' and 'racist' as adjectives that just don't hit very hard anymore. They got worn out and lost their special status by being tossed around too much.

White Product Line Font Magenta

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,535 Posts
My idea of a tactical AR is a good trigger, a basic sling, decent scope if on a picatinny rail. with fold down irons (NOT plastic), a decent scope, reliable mags, 20 and 30 and if desired, a premium flash suppressor. Sound suppressor would be nice.

In a quickie just good sights and plenty of mags and ammo.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
My idea of a tactical AR is a good trigger, a basic sling, decent scope if on a picatinny rail. with fold down irons (NOT plastic), a decent scope, reliable mags, 20 and 30 and if desired, a premium flash suppressor. Sound suppressor would be nice.

In a quickie just good sights and plenty of mags and ammo.
Yes and yes.

Simple is better, as long as it can do its job. I agree on the trigger, of course. Basic sling, there as a hasty or when hands need to be free. Reliable mags are a must, mark or number so offenders can be easilly identified and thrown away. Mags, 20 rd by choice, loaded with 18. A2 flash surpressor is a must. They work, twice. Reduce muzzle flash and dirt kick up. In the Mid East I had a Car15 as we called them. Simple irons and carry handle top. Worn mostly to the silver and never ever failed to feed or eject.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hello. Good news everyone, seems to me your lever gun is already tactical. Most are short and light, can fire an effective cartridge and are mechanically reliable. They are easy to strip without special tools and can lay down fairly effective rapid fire. They were designed tactical.

You see in my opinion, tacticool is often overdone (not just on levers). If you want to fit all sorts of whistles and bells to your lever, go for it. Its your gun, your money. However how much of it is really going to improve your performance? Ask yourself the question. The late great Mel Tappin in Survival Guns, (a book I almost actually ate as a young man) said shooters tend to buy just about anything that looks promising. He was right, cause its fun. But for what improvement, exactly?

I respectfully suggest before buying or fitting extra bits we ask ourselves why we need it and what it will achieve. Some are just silly, others seem small but can make a big difference. Keep in mind with guns the more complicated we make them the more training and practice is required, the more to go wrong...

Remember: KISS

So, what extras help, and what extras not so much, and what extras just look cool (no harm in that by the way).
I always said leverguns are the original high capacity assault rifles.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
916 Posts
Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood

Short, light, and handy with good sights and plenty of power for any critter around these parts. First round hits quickly and easily to 200 yards. Fast follow up shots and easily topped off.

It's not black though, so it can't be tactical.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
I have a stainless 16" Rossi 92 in .357 in a scabbard behind the seat of my truck, it's as tactical as I'll ever need to be.
It's there when you need it.

·
Super Moderator
4,267 Posts
Not no but hell no. The right lever gun with a sling and good trigger is as tactile as it needs to be. You can mount optics without the extra junk, even night vision. My 218 bee is lighter than my decked out AR. You want tactical save the money from the parts and buy a modern military style firearm. I’ve kept it simple even with my slings. I bought two of those fancy do all rubber slings and just put it on a rifle I plan to use. The wife has the other. I only carry one at a time any way.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Like a lot of things in today's World the term 'tactical' has been overused to the point where its original meaning has been watered down. Any Mall Ninja can purchase tactical clothing, tactical camping gear, tactical firearms accessories, and tactical stickers for his pickup topper. 'Tactical' joins 'premium' and 'racist' as adjectives that just don't hit very hard anymore. They got worn out and lost their special status by being tossed around too much.

View attachment 870215
My favorite was tactical bacon at something like $30/pound sold one time at Midway USA. Then of course there is camouflage underwear and flashlights.

DEP

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
I am not going to debate.

Tactical stuff on a lever gun is silly and I never would do it even if just for looks. Yep, they look like something Hollywood dreamed up.

I'm not yet 50 but get off my lawn!

·
Registered
114 Posts
What does "tactical " mean ? It can mean anything you want it to mean

For me, tactical implies a gunfight with at least one armed adversary. Usually more than one

Now a lever gun with tactical accessories does not really add much when faced with a "tactical " situation in my definition of tactical

that being said I have nothing against outfitting a lever rifle to look more tactical. I can
appreciate the look and feel.

but for any "tactical situation " I have plenty of better choices in my collection.

Besides I wouldn't want to scratch or ding my precious lever guns anyway.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts