Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Good news everyone, seems to me your lever gun is already tactical. Most are short and light, can fire an effective cartridge and are mechanically reliable. They are easy to strip without special tools and can lay down fairly effective rapid fire. They were designed tactical.

You see in my opinion, tacticool is often overdone (not just on levers). If you want to fit all sorts of whistles and bells to your lever, go for it. Its your gun, your money. However how much of it is really going to improve your performance? Ask yourself the question. The late great Mel Tappin in Survival Guns, (a book I almost actually ate as a young man) said shooters tend to buy just about anything that looks promising. He was right, cause its fun. But for what improvement, exactly?

I respectfully suggest before buying or fitting extra bits we ask ourselves why we need it and what it will achieve. Some are just silly, others seem small but can make a big difference. Keep in mind with guns the more complicated we make them the more training and practice is required, the more to go wrong...

Remember: KISS

So, what extras help, and what extras not so much, and what extras just look cool (no harm in that by the way).

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
The same can be said about nearly any other hobby and guns are no exception. As an example, they say fishing lures catch more fishermen than they do catching fish. The same can be said for gun doodads and the black rifle world is full of them. I would like to face punch the guy that coined the term tacticool, how stupid.

With lever guns people have strong opinions and some really get their panties in a bunch over something as silly as adding a scope. Never mind those of us that are into NFA stuff like suppressors or short barrel rifles. I modify my guns to suit my own needs and don't need affirmation nor approval from anyone else.

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
Good, valid point kingstrider, but few hobbies are likely to be called upon to defend your and your families lives. Toys are fun, guns can be fun but are not toys.
Not sure where you're going with this thread but that is stating the obvious. Only fools fail to respect the capability of a firearm and it doesn't matter how many bells & whistles it has. My lever guns are mostly used for punching paper or killing game but are capable of filling other roles if and when needed. That said, I would take an AR15 or M1 over a lever gun any day of the week in a SHTF scenario. Just curious but can you own semi- or fully-automatic rifles over there? Or is the lever gun the most 'tactical' thing big brother will let you have?

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
The first tactical accessory purchase for any firearm should be at least 1,000 rounds for practice. Then figure out if any improvements are needed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
The same can be said about nearly any other hobby and guns are no exception. As an example, they say fishing lures catch more fishermen than they do catching fish. The same can be said for gun doodads and the black rifle world is full of them. I would like to face punch the guy that coined the term tacticool, how stupid.

With lever guns people have strong opinions and some really get their panties in a bunch over something as silly as adding a scope. Never mind those of us that are into NFA stuff like suppressors or short barrel rifles. I modify my guns to suit my own needs and don't need affirmation nor approval from anyone else.

Looks like you were actually able to get a diversified machine suppressor. Been on the email list for about a year now!

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I never jumped on the "tacti-cool" band wagon. I'm perfectly
happy to let that trend pass me by.
I'm a blued steel and walnut guy all the way. Prefer leather
to nylon slings.
I have a cut down 44 magnum 1894 that I keep around for
home defense.
Is that tactical? I don't know...
I don't begrudge anybody that likes what they like.
We all have our deal that were into.
I was a bolt-action fanatic at one time...so
I guess things can change too.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I would be called 'Tacti-Geek'. My minimalist taste tends to be classic as in Vietnam era style with basic improvements that help without adding too much weight or having this or that getting in the way. I was indoctrinated by Jeff Cooper.

AC
AC, Jeff Cooper and I knew one another. I would visit him in Arizona and was 'his man in Brazil' for a while. Leading to quotes in his Guns and Ammo column. You want pressure when shooting, try shooting with him! Then having him check out your sidearm! A sad loss for the the shooting world.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
I would never buy a stainless lever or put a scope on one. I'm traditional. I don't care what you do to your lever just don't try to make me like it. Hack away Bubbas! I have ARs and the like for that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
XS Ghost Ring and XS wide white line front. Because I have a lot of practice with my eye sight.... and at least 1,000 rounds of ammunition.

One to save, one to shoot. One, two to save, two to shoot.

Alright trivia fans who am I paraphrasing?

The first tactical accessory purchase for any firearm should be at least 1,000 rounds for practice. Then figure out if any improvements are needed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Can you have semiautomatics in England?
Only rimfires and shotguns. Far from ideal, but they could definitely be worse off.

My 'tactical' rifles (AR-15, .30-30s) are perfectly fine with just irons, a sling, and sometimes a weapon light. I prefer to keep them trim and handy; I'm defending my home, shooting recreationally, and occasionally assisting LE in wide-area searches.

My DMR is a bit of a heavy thing, but it wears a large optic, aluminum free-float rail, and bipod, and is intended for shots at 500 yards and beyond.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts