Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depends on how low you need to be. I can cycle my levers from a comfortable shooting position while in the prone. There's plenty of clearance if that's your concern. You won't know till you try it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
not very good for prone shooting position, are they?
I've had my marlin for almost a year now and wondered the same thing until I got it out & put quite a few rounds down range. Being that the Corps taught me to shoot in the prone position, I shoot all my weapons as taught. I didn't have any issues with it in the prone at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Think about how low you can put a rifle to the ground and still hold the sights to your eyes. It requires plenty of height which is more than enough clearance to sweep the lever out and in. My lever guns never leave my shoulder when cycling a round anyway. Stroking the lever with arm movement only from the elbow to the wrist is not a problem.

An AR, even with a small magazine, still has that pistol grip extending below the receiver. Then a pretty tall receiver, and raised iron sights or an optic. And if you shoot it on it's left side like they would do in the hood......... :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
As opposed to a 30 round AR magazine sticking out the bottom? <wink>
Okay, because of all the winking and stuff ... let's be clear.

Is anyone here saying a lever action rifle is faster in the prone position than a magazine-fed semi-automatic?

Next question ... which is faster, magazine-fed bolty or lever action? And let's go a step further, shall we? Which is faster and which is more accurate? Sliding scale. Pts for speed and pts for accuracy between the bolty and the levergun.

Which one wins?

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Okay, because of all the winking and stuff ... let's be clear.

Is anyone here saying a lever action rifle is faster in the prone position than a magazine-fed semi-automatic?
I dont think that was a debate issue of which ones faster or better, just that the fact that there is pretty much more than enough clearance to swing a lever. just comparing the height /clearance difference in the two shapes/styles of rifles. not tactical advantages of the two platforms.

With that said, I comfortably shoot my 336 prone often, with plenty of room to swing the lever in my style of shooting..

Try it for yourself, and see whats comfortable for you, but I dont think youll have a problem at all..

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I dont think that was a debate issue of which ones faster or better, just that the fact that there is pretty much more than enough clearance to swing a lever. just comparing the height /clearance difference in the two shapes/styles of rifles. not tactical advantages of the two platforms.

With that said, I comfortably shoot my 336 prone often, with plenty of room to swing the lever in my style of shooting..

Try it for yourself, and see whats comfortable for you, but I dont think youll have a problem at all..
My Grandpappy was old school Fort Bliss Calvary who was doing it the new-fangled way by the 30s at Bliss, but still rode horses and shot Winchesters with the old guys on the weekends back then, when they could. He was a horseman especially, a Calvary man, from birth.

So it was no wonder I was raised riding horses and shooting Winchesters ... not always off of horses that appreciated it as much as my Grandpappy did, I don't mind sharing that with you.

It also goes without saying that by the time I was ten years old I had shot the Winchester from every position conceivable short of hanging upside down by my toes .... which I almost was forced to do the first time I fired from a sniper position in a tree, as prescribed by my Grandpappy that day.

He fought in WWII and loved his 1903 and Garand ... but he was always a levergun man at heart.

Didn't we all grow-up with Daisy leveguns imagining that we were shooting indians while prone from behind grain sacks or in-between wagon wheels?

My Son and Daughters and I have spent so much time shooting leverguns from the prone position out here on the farm that I feel like a documentary could have been made about us before all the girls grew-up and moved out to start their own families.

We're all military men ... we shoot standing, sitting, prone. Weak hand, strong hand, dominate eye, weak eye, hot, cold, day, night, inside, outside, up in trees, down on the ground ... it's what we do with all of our rifles, right? Pistols and shotguns too.

I agree, I have never had a problem shooting a levergun from a prone position. I used to be much better at it than I am now, the old bones and joints and all. But I will say this as well. Dust flying, muddy, whatever ... the levergun is last on my list for shooting prone, if I have my druthers it's going to be a magazine fed semi-auto ... preferably an M1a or an AR. Next would be a bolty with a ten round detachable mag followed by a levergun as a last resort ... IF we're talking prone mind you.

But that's just me.

A levergun is not a tactical weapon meant for CQB or defensive line combat. If it was, the Army would not have been so quick to get rid of it and go with other options like they were at the turn of the 20th Century ... before that actually.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I can't easily post a link from this iPhone thing but two guys with Henry levers fought off an attack by 40 natives. Many similar stories from the Civil War about that "Damned Yankee rifle that you load on Sunday and shoot all week!" The Turks decimated the Russian army with Winchesters.

I'm just having some fun with you here, being a lever lover and all. I do own an AR and an SKS. But inside 100 yards a lever is capable. As always, the first well place shot wins.
I've studied all that, believe me I have, and am well versed on all of that - have been for years. The Turks used theirs to turn their history down a different path.

But we're talking prone ... and I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying if you are fighting against someone with a magazine-fed semi-automatic that knows how to use it ... you're going to lose.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
My choice of a levergun for HD has more to do with the caliber than anything else... And I'm just not much of a 5.56 fan for anything other than coyotes on down. The pistol caliber leverguns with some specials won't shoot through my walls. They're short, light, fast and I practice reloading tirelessly.Besides that shooting well has always meant more to me than shooting fast.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
In a suburban warfare situation I would prefer my AK47 with 40 rd mags.Second choice would be my M4 with 40 rd mags.And my 1911 holstered.Lever-gun is for hunting.Bolt is for hunting or sniping.Just my 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Depends on whether They are Facing an Oponent Trained w/ the Same Tactics.
Especialy if that Oponent is On His Home Ground & Has the Tenacity to Defend it.
That's where Many of Us Have the Advantage. This brings to mind the Armys Creed.
"This I Will Defend" In My case it's "God, Family, Country (ie: Constitution)"
Notice that there's No "Government or Commanding Authority" Mentioned!
These Are the Only Things that I Am Loyal to & Will Defend Them W/ My Lever Gun & Life, If Need Be.
So, In My Opinion, A Tactical Lever Gun Has a Very Practical Application.
Besides, If That's All I Got, It's Better Than Nuthin'
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
162 Posts
If your tactics are to lay there and slug it out for a couple hundred rounds from the same fixed firing position the dude with the belt fed is going to come in first, then the guys with the magazine fed rifles, and on down the food chain. If you're just going to take up a firing position, shoot a couple rounds at the Red Coats and then scoot, the lever gunner really isn't at that great of a disadvantage since he can top off without taking the gun out of the fight. He does need a big bag of bullets or crossed bandoleers to carry any decent amount of rounds.

Of course CQB is a different matter but I'd not feel too badly if all I had for HD was one of my levers.

No problems here firing a lever rifle from prone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back in the old days the Army tested new rifles with the idea of who can fire the most Aimed Shots over a full minute. At the end of the minute they counted the holes in the target, not how many were fired.
Lever actions can empty their magazine in a hurry but are very slow to reload. The single shot trapdoor could fire more rounds in a minute than the lever gun. ( Don't get mad at me, it's history)

Ever wonder why the early US bolt actions - Hotchkiss, Krag, and Springfield rifles - had a magazine cutoff? They were faster shooting as single shots. But then along came chargers, magazines, and then semi/full auto. Each had/has their own time in the spotlight.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If it came down to fighting hard core body armor wearing troops, I'd go with my 308 ak of course. I practice reloading my leverguns tirelessly. Once the gun is dry you always load the first round into the chamber so you can fire immediately if needed while topping off the mag tube. Even single feeding a levergun or pump shotgun you can still shoot reasonably fast considering. You just throw them in on the tray and shut the gun, you're back. If I was trying to shoot fast and the gun was dry I'd probably be single loading and firing at that point. I keep a satchel of ammo on hand with my levergun every night. As always though shooting well means more to me than fast.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My one brother bought my nephew one of those Mossberg tactical 30/30's last Christmas

Mossberg & Sons | .30-30 WIN

Perhaps one of the ugliest guns ever made by man
It isn't super accurate, but it is acceptable for a "traditional lever action"

What my nephew really likes about it is how easy it is to get in and out of his Jeep TJ with it
It has become his camping/truck gun
He is about six feet tall and finds the lop on it better than my 336 or 1894

1 - 20 of 25 Posts