Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
In the south and south-east and even up Ohio, way in the hills, a cast iron skillet is refered to as a spider (spyder?).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T3, This sure is a new one on me..... Never heard of a spyder being a cast iron pan...large or small. The only thing I pesonally know as a spider is a eight legged creature... which i dislike allot. The only other thing is one of the strainer things that the oriental cooks use for cooking. That I have one of those. My sis-in-law gave me a few months back, but have yet to use :shock: .
So what is the total time that you cook the chicken in the spider?? I bought a Lodge 14" dutch oven years back and haven't used it either :shock: . But with your help, I'm going to have to get it out of the box and get it seasoned. Who knows..... might have to get some more iron in my kitchen :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
http://www.lodgemfg.com/useandcare.asp

This sez it better than I could.

Chicken is really good oven fried: Put some oil (cannola/olive) in skillet and preheat to 425 with the oven. Put your seasoned chicken in the skillet and put back in oven.........turn down to 350.....don't turn for awhile or it might stick (use enough oil). Turn once. Takes about an hour or so for big pieces. mmmmmmmmm brush with your favorite BBQ sauce. Your dutch oven should work just as good as the skillet.

Oven home fries that way are good, too. Make sure the pan is real hot before putting stuff in it...........not as likely to stick that way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy, are you makin my mouth water just readin your post.... slurp, slurp :lol: .
Like to know what you use to season Your bird with. Might be better than my ideas :lol: :lol: :lol:
The ball is in your court..........

G

·
tubbythetuba said:
In the south and south-east and even up Ohio, way in the hills, a cast iron skillet is refered to as a spider (spyder?).
I'm not saying you are incorrect , BUT I've lived in the south for the past 43 years. And I've never heard the word spider used to mean frying pan :shock:

·
Registered
31 Posts
A spider is a cast iron skillet with a handle and three legs on the bottom just like a camp dutch oven. They were mainly for use in the big colonial style "walk-in" fireplaces.
Wolfy

·
Registered
363 Posts
TUBBY - "In the south and south-east and even up Ohio, way in the hills, a cast iron skillet is refered to as a spider (spyder?)."

Huh uh. Wolfy nailed it. A spider is a large cast iron skillet with a long handle and THREE legs, just the same as a Dutch oven. My grandmother had one, and I've seen my mother use it in our firepace, years ago, when ice storms would knock out our electricity. That was in Alabama and Arkansas, where I was born and raised. My other grandmother, from near Chatanooga, Tennessee, had one, also.

A cast iron skillet is... uhhhh, a cast iron skillet.

Nothing beats a good Dutch oven for cooking a variety of dishes. I have eight of them, and use them both here at home on the patio, and out in the boonies while camping and hunting.

FWIW. L.W.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ahhhh Tubby ... if a cast iron pot doesn't have three legs and a lid with an upraised rim around the outer edge, it AIN'T a Dutch oven. It's just a cast iron roasting pot, or stew pot. (I've got three of those, too, a deep 12" and two deep 10". Fantastic for use on top of the stove, or in the oven, but no good on a camp fire or on top of charcoal. Camp fires and charcoal are what a Dutch oven is for. )

BTW, I didn't say a spider was a Dutch oven. I said a spider must have three legs, just like a Dutch oven. :)

Good cooking. L.W.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Leanwolf said:
Ahhhh Tubby ... if a cast iron pot doesn't have three legs and a lid with an upraised rim around the outer edge, it AIN'T a Dutch oven. It's just a cast iron roasting pot, or stew pot. (I've got three of those, too, a deep 12" and two deep 10". Fantastic for use on top of the stove, or in the oven, but no good on a camp fire or on top of charcoal. Camp fires and charcoal are what a Dutch oven is for. )

BTW, I didn't say a spider was a Dutch oven. I said a spider must have three legs, just like a Dutch oven. :)

Good cooking. L.W.
:p I guess I'm just in "Dutch" again :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts