Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My research found very few information on the T serial numbered 336. Other then made in 1960, does anyone know anything more about these rifles? Mellalurgy, etc. One of the guys at my LGS called me about one they just received in a trade. I got excited of course and will see it tomorrow. LGS guy said its in good shape. No rust, no buggered up screws, good wood, front side hood, gold trigger, smooth action. I trust him. Price is under 3 bills.

Reactions: WVMaddog

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Teah the T means it was made in 1960, I'd say for under three out the door. You couldn't go wrong, and we will need to see a picture when you get her home.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Go for it!
I would be waiting at the door for when he opens for under $300

Is it a SC....C...A..? What Cal.?

I got a "T" 1960 SC and a show last summer and paid $450.00 for it,but it was a .32Spl.

Ya can't beat a Marlin made in the 60's

A 60's 336 will be drilled and taped at the factory which I like cause my huntin days are over with open sights

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, i have not seen it yet :) as far as i can remember its a 30-30. Not sure of the suffix. And yes i am buying it if what the guy tells me is all true which i believe it is. I will try to get pics up asap. Thanks. I'm anal about getting as much info on a new gun purchase as i can. Especially a Marlin!

BTW, 35 REM. that is an awesome looking rifle... In my favorite caliber none the less!

Reactions: 35REMSHOOTER

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sounds like an awesome price! I wouldn't hesitate either!

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I'm no expert, but I have a "T" prefix serial number 336 and I was under the impression that the prefix indicated it was a Texan model. Mine is a straight stock rifle, in 35rem and I thought it was correct. Mine only says 336 on the barrel and no where does it say Texan on the rifle, barrel or receiver. I could understand if the barrel marking 336 was followed with SC or RC or Texan. But it is confusing without photo or detailed information. Come Monday when its in your hands you'll know.

Photo of my "T" 336

March+1st++2014+snowshoe+014.JPG 336-.35Rem+019.JPG 336-.35Rem+034.JPG 336-.35Rem+025.JPG 336-.35Rem+024.JPG

I always thought of this as a Texan, but now after reading some of this thread I wonder if it is just an RC with a straight stock.

I'll be watching what other information you get on the "T" serial number.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm no expert, but I have a "T" prefix serial number 336 and I was under the impression that the prefix indicated it was a Texan model. Mine is a straight stock rifle, in 35rem and I thought it was correct. Mine only says 336 on the barrel and no where does it say Texan on the rifle, barrel or receiver. I could understand if the barrel marking 336 was followed with SC or RC or Texan. But it is confusing without photo or detailed information. Come Monday when its in your hands you'll know.

Photo of my "T" 336

View attachment 97292 View attachment 97293 View attachment 97294 View attachment 97295 View attachment 97298

I always thought of this as a Texan, but now after reading some of this thread I wonder if it is just an RC with a straight stock.

I'll be watching what other information you get on the "T" serial number.
I think you have a 1960 Texan. The T in the serial number is just a nice touch, since they were made 1952-1962

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Texans are not marked as such. They are identified by a straight grip stock. Otherwise they are alike the pistol grip. Both should be marked as RC (regular carbine) on the barrel.

T designates year of manufacture for all models produced 1960.

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Texans are not marked as such. They are identified by a straight grip stock. Otherwise they are alike the pistol grip. Both should be marked as RC (regular carbine) on the barrel.

T designates year of manufacture for all models produced 1960.
Thanks for clearing it up. Did not intend to hijack this thread. I thought the Texans were barrel marked with a "T" or Texan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts