Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if they have any info on bullets and powder for loading in my new T/C Encore 45/70. It is 15" stainless barrel and frame with a factory brake installed I have 60 rnds through it so far and it doesn't seem to be shooting very good groups. I'm using 40 grs of 3031 and have used 405 Rems., 350 Speers and they shot terrible, just as they did out of my guide gun. 300 gr. Hornady's weren't bad. I am shooting though an aimpoint scope. Anyone having any ideas i would like to hear them.

Thanks,

anytym

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
My conclusion is that T/C's accuracy seems to be over rated. I have a SS Contender frame with both a SS Match .22LR 10" barrel and a 21" SS .223 barrel. Much against expectations, my Ruger MK II SS shoots better than the Contender in .22LR. And the .223 barrel is good for maybe two shots. My Armalite AR-15 with 20" SS barrel does a hell of a lot better than THAT. The Contender DOES always hit that first shot to POA, the second one usually within an inch and a half and anything after that is all over the place. :oops: In the tradition or challenge of the single shot rifle for hunting, it works quite well. You better hit him with the first shot. It goes downhill from there.:lol:

I salute you for firing a 45-70 handgun! :shock: WOW!

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
anytym said:
Can anyone tell me if they have any info on bullets and powder for loading in my new T/C Encore 45/70. It is 15" stainless barrel and frame with a factory brake installed I have 60 rnds through it so far and it doesn't seem to be shooting very good groups. I'm using 40 grs of 3031 and have used 405 Rems., 350 Speers and they shot terrible, just as they did out of my guide gun. 300 gr. Hornady's weren't bad. I am shooting though an aimpoint scope. Anyone having any ideas i would like to hear them.

Thanks,

anytym
anytym-My advice would be go buy a box of Winchester Supreme 300 Partition and fire a couple of those thru it and see the accuracy they give you compared to your reloads.Supposed to be accurate ammo.That should tell you whether its the gun or something else.

I must add that shooting a big bore pistol is quite different then shooting the rifle.I own a .454 and it kicks very hard and the accuracy with my Burris red dot is not what it would be say out of a Mod 92 Puma carbine.

Good luck..............Jayco.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts