Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,063 Posts
My JM 336 actually has black synthetic furniture which I like. I will also try to find a nice set of wood furniture as well
Is your stock set original Marlin or Ramline?
I was always curious as to why Marlin never got to heavy into the synthetic stocks on their lever guns. They were plentiful on the X series bolt rifles, although those were quite a late arrival on the scene. As popular as the camo craze was/is, they only offered camo dipped wood vs plastics which would be much lighter. Even Remington used coated wood for their black stock sets. Maybe Ruger will offer a lightweight, synthetic stocked lever action rifle.

·
Super Moderator
26,220 Posts
As far as I know Marlin never made a synthetic stock for their lever actions. I hope Ruger will step up and meet the demand.
Marlin did make a 336C 30-30 with a synthetic stock for a year or two in the early 2000s. It might have been in camo but I don't remember for sure. Not many were made and its not a Marlin you see that much these days.

·
Super Moderator
3,063 Posts
Marlin did make a 336C 30-30 with a synthetic stock for a year or two in the early 2000s. It might have been in camo but I don't remember for sure. Not many were made and its not a Marlin you see that much these days.
Both of these on the bottom are factory issued camo models, 336CC and 30AS. These are wood underneath a factory applied dip/wrap. I honestly don't know if they made plastic or not. I know Ramline made black and camo replacement stock sets for Marlin but these are the only factory camo ones I know of.
Textile Sleeve Wood Red Pattern

Plant Wood Branch Twig Trunk

·
Super Moderator
26,220 Posts
Both of these on the bottom are factory issued camo models, 336CC and 30AS. These are wood underneath a factory applied dip/wrap. I honestly don't know if they made plastic or not. I know Ramline made black and camo replacement stock sets for Marlin but these are the only factory camo ones I know of.
View attachment 872759
View attachment 872760
Yep! These are the two I now remember--forgot about the 30AS version. I think the 30AS camo model had a dip paint coating applied over the wood. I thought the 336CC had a synthetic stock but I am probably wrong about that. I haven't seen these two models shown on MO in quite a long time..............

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Super Moderator
7,181 Posts
Who made the black plastic/synthetic stocks for the 336 back in the early-mid 1960's? I remember seeing them advertised a lot in various magazines, and I think even in some of the comic books. As a kid, I lusted for them and a lever gun.

jd

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Super Moderator
3,063 Posts
Ranger Point is a sponsor here and makes some great upgrades for Marlin, Henry and others. I have quite a lot of there products on various rifles and couldn't be happier with them. I plan to continue upgrading as the budget allows. Their flyweight loading gates are the best thing I've ever done to some of my Marlins. You really appreciate the ease of loading when your fingers are frozen. The medium loop levers, contoured slot blank fillers, 1894 extractors, lever shims etc, use them all and highly recommend them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts