Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Swivel Studs

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  harlycarly 
#1 ·
I have looked at a set of swivels to put on my newly acquired 357. Looking at the Uncle Mike's with the split band that attach to the front tube. Item # 1051-2. Right now there is a "bulls eye" type plug for the rear swivel stud. Does anyone know if the rear stud will just screw in there easily and hold adequately? I removed the plug and looked in the hole and was surprised not to find wood, but could see down into what looked like metal parts of the gun.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
i had an uncle mike's stud on my 336 for a while but didn't like how it fit so i got a new rear band with a swivel and it works fine.
the bulls eye is not for a stud, its a marlin trademark. i dont know why but mine never had one. how did you get it out of the stock ? it shouldn't pull out so easy.there are no metal parts in the stock. it sounds like they drilled the hole too deep at the factory but put the plug in anyway.you can fill in the extra space in the hole with a small piece of wooden dowel rod and glue the bulls eye back in.
as for the rear swivel, it should go between the bulls eye and the end of the stock. you need to pre-drill the hole for the stud. you can put some masking tape over the area your going to drill so if you slip it wont scratch the stock (i learned the hard way). when you screw in the stud put some soap on the threads so it will go in easier.

i hope this helps :)

#3 ·
WOW! It helps a lot!! I was wondering about that hole. It didn't look right. Thanks a lot. will do the dowel thing and reinsert the "bulls eye". It is a tad loose, and came out easily and I figured I'd lose it in the woods. I probably don't want to "glue" it in, do I?

Thanks for the info, especially before I went and munged things up.

#4 ·
336-4-LIFE , Where did you get the barrel band with the sling swivel on it? I need one for my 336, it didn't come with sling swivels.
Thanks Key

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Nice rifle. Do NOT install the bottom swivil in the Marlin walnut stocked trademark bullseye. Folks here will stone you and call you Bubba!!! Rear swivil should be placed about half way down from the trademark to the butplate. Front barrel bands and forend caps are both available with swivil fittings. I have also used the split ring swivil base with complete satisfaction. Your choice. Best wishes, Jack

#6 ·
I almost used the Uncle Mikes magazine tube swivel..thought it might bend/damage the tube in the long run, so I ordered the band and swivel attachment with a new intallation screw from Marlin/Remington. Had to wait two weeks, but it was worth it; I think it looks much better and it can't stress the magazine tube.

#7 ·
harlycarly said:
WOW! It helps a lot!! I was wondering about that hole. It didn't look right. Thanks a lot. will do the dowel thing and reinsert the "bulls eye". It is a tad loose, and came out easily and I figured I'd lose it in the woods. I probably don't want to "glue" it in, do I?

Thanks for the info, especially before I went and munged things up.
Sure you can glue it in, thats what shoulda been done originally, but sometimes they do fall out. Generally the rear stud goes 2.5" or so in from the buttplate. You can use a split band on the mag tube for the front but I wouldn't except if I needed it until I got a barrel band with one on it. They certainly work fine, I just dont like them, I preffer the band or forend cap with the stud. They can be had from Midway, Brownells, Numrich or sometimes on e-bay. A 336 band will work just fine too, just a heads up so you dont get old waiting on a 94C band. ;)

#8 ·
jack therwhanger said:
Welcome to the forum. Nice rifle. Do NOT install the bottom swivil in the Marlin walnut stocked trademark bullseye. Folks here will stone you and call you Bubba!!! Rear swivil should be placed about half way down from the trademark to the butplate. Front barrel bands and forend caps are both available with swivil fittings. I have also used the split ring swivil base with complete satisfaction. Your choice. Best wishes, Jack
Thanks, Jack. This is why I asked. Probably gonna dowel it up and glue it in.

However, I've been called MUCH worse than Bubba. ;)

#10 ·
Uhh - ohhh........... somebody's gonna call you Bubba ;D

Yeah, it makes sense. Mine will easily slip out except I have some mild rubber contact cement, just a drop on it right now.

Thanks for the midway link. I went ahead and ordered the Uncle Mike's, will see how I like it. If not, this band set up looks like a good choice.

Thanks again, all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.