Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Swivel studs and bullseyes

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Gman26 
#1 ·
Rarely a day goes by that someone does not mention what BUBBA did to the bulls eye on a Marlin-he put a swivel stud in it!!! I know that this opinion is likely to create a firestorm, but here goes. So what? One of my nine marlins has a swivel stud in the bulls eye and it just hasn't really bothered me enough to do anything about it. At least it is still anchored there with the stud. On four of the others the sacred bulls eye has fallen out, gone, kaput! The hole is a lot nastier than the swivel stud. Yes, I know that I can get replacements and that I can probably use better glue than the factory did and I will place that on my to do list. (I don't think anything has been on this list for more than seven or eight years.) There is one advantage. If you decide to remove the swivel hangers, the bulls eye can be replaced neater than filling holes. Just my thoughts. Good day to all, Jack

#2 ·
I agree.If you have a Marlin that is somewhat collectable (My 1894M for instance) and want/need a sling.You can return it to original configuration easily by replacing the bullseye and removing the clamp on front swivel.

If I plan to place a stud at factory specs,I always use a factory rear band or forend cap made with a stud.I don't think Marlin ever sold a lever gun with a stud two inches behind the bullseye and a front stud clamped on the magazine tube.I'v been wrong before but I can't remember when ::)

#3 ·
My first marlin I did it in the bullseye 20 yrs. ago and it still holding strong, the others were put 2" back. I have seen them come lose but this one has'nt yet, but I like the idea of takeing it out and replaceing the stud if you ever want to take it back to original.

#4 ·
I'm with you all the way. I'd rather see a stud in the bullseye than a Bubba'd, off-center, hand-drilled, crooked hole some nitwit put in to avoid deflowering the bullseye. If it is a collector piece, all I need to do is remove the stud and replace the bullseye.

#8 ·
Gman26 said:
Whew!!!! Because the two we bought last weekend both have the stud in the bulls eye.
The gun on the bottom looks like a Glenfield. It may not have ever had a bullseye. Is it a birch stock?

#10 ·
janott said:
Abel, yer a card. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ya!.......The joker ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

#13 ·
well the way i look at it, it's you'r rifle. you paid for it, and if you want to paint it purple with pokadots, and put a 4x12 scope on it, then that's your bizz. but for me, if i buy one that has been (desacrated) oh'well, then i have one that has a sling on it. but i also will not drill where the bullseye is because that is a deep hole, and your stud will bottom out before it gets a good hold on some wood, and it will come out. i've seen it happen, and i don't want to chance it coming undone, and my rifle bouncing end over end down the side of a mountain. and yes i do hunt in some rough terrain! so if it's done it's done, i don't make big deal out it anyway. i think this has somthing to do with OCD.

#14 ·
I just went to the safe to check the depth of the hole where the bulls eye used to be. The first one I came to with the missing part was my R (57-58) .219 Zipper. It measured .272 at the bottom of the concave hole. Most swivel studs are long enough to reach wood with plenty of purchase. I could not find my larger goodie box, but the three studs I found just now measured .780 (1) and .850 (2) from thread tip to shoulder. I suppose many of us are quirky about out likes and dislikes, I just am not too concerned with the bulls eyes and I will replace the empties. I do get in the questioning mode over great big scopes on the levers. Mine all wear an assortment of red dots, 3X, 4X, receiver sights, and a 3-9 x 32 (on the Zipper.) But, as 357 said, It is your money so enjoy. Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.