Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 1952 336RC .30-30 Waffle Top (unmolested) that I'd like to carry on hikes in the mountains. Since no one has put any sling swivels in it during it's 62 year life, I figured I would not either. Still for long hikes it would be nice to have a sling on it. The perfect set-up would be to put a sling swivel on the mag tube (no harm to rifle with that) and then a loop at the other end of sling to go around the stock wrist.

Any of you guys have a suggestion?

Thanks...

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Maybe a leather wrap on the buttstock with a way to attach a sling there

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
You can go from fairly simple such as a "Bayou Gun Sling" to pretty neat looking/fancier custom leather jobs that can be found in the site here down in the menu selections, Leatherworks I think... nice options without studs/holes etc. to be had with a little searching.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sportsmans Warehouse sells a scabbard that has a sling. It hangs over the shoulder and the gun is handy and unmolested. It's cheap, like $20.00 or so and works very well. Steve

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My bad, make that Sportsman Guide. Voodoo tactical is the manufacture. Steve

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
35REMSHOOTER...that is a very nice looking sling. Thank you for posting a picture of yours, I went ahead and ordered one for myself.

Do you feel that jute/cotton webbing will stand up to some regular use in the field? I kinda thought it might start to "fray" with regular all day use hiking in the mountains. I guess I'll find out soon enough after mine arrives. I sure do like the way it looks though...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Thanks 35! That's a real neat sling. Seen some kind a like that before but not that nice.

Mop

·
Registered
787 Posts
I also ordered one today; just what I've been looking for to use on undrilled shotguns, muzzle loaders and my "new" slingless 1955 336RC.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
35REMSHOOTER...that is a very nice looking sling. Thank you for posting a picture of yours, I went ahead and ordered one for myself.

Do you feel that jute/cotton webbing will stand up to some regular use in the field? I kinda thought it might start to "fray" with regular all day use hiking in the mountains. I guess I'll find out soon enough after mine arrives. I sure do like the way it looks though...
It will hold up,I have been using mine for a couple of years now and I took that picture last week,that jute/cotton webbing has been around for a 100 years!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The above pictured sling is nice. There is a down side. Use it very much and the blue on the barrel/magazine tube/barrel band will begin to show wear at the point of attachment.

A properly installed swivel stud set ( I suggest the barrel band or end cap instillation for the front ) will not detract from the value of the rifle. Most of us prefer detachable sling options. The only rifle that I have without them is a high grade BAR. I only use it as a stand gun and carry it to and from the stand in a canvas and leather case with a sling attached to the case. I even have sling attachments on a mid-grade Beretta O/U shotgun and on my trusted 870 pump gun.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The above pictured sling is nice. There is a down side. Use it very much and the blue on the barrel/magazine tube/barrel band will begin to show wear at the point of attachment.

A properly installed swivel stud set ( I suggest the barrel band or end cap instillation for the front ) will not detract from the value of the rifle. Most of us prefer detachable sling options. The only rifle that I have without them is a high grade BAR. I only use it as a stand gun and carry it to and from the stand in a canvas and leather case with a sling attached to the case. I even have sling attachments on a mid-grade Beretta O/U shotgun and on my trusted 870 pump gun.

Best wishes,
Actually on the 336 it fits snug around the barrel band,I just didn't take the time to work it down over for the picture,but you do have a good point.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I guess I would have a very hard time drilling into a sixty year old walnut gunstock to put a stud for a sling. I know it gets done all the time but if I ever attempted doing it, I'm afraid I would just have to pay some expert and hope he didn't slip. Those are very nice hookups in the pictures.

Ron

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I guess I would have a very hard time drilling into a sixty year old walnut gunstock to put a stud for a sling. I know it gets done all the time but if I ever attempted doing it, I'm afraid I would just have to pay some expert and hope he didn't slip. Those are very nice hookups in the pictures.

Ron
And this is what you would look like after the "expert" screwed it up....LOL!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts