Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7 decades under the belt and my right eye has developed a wrinkle in the front of the retina. Surgery can be done but docs say not really yet. Corrected 20-40 right, 20-20 left. Right is reasonably clear but crosshairs have a wiggle in them. Left is crystle clear.

As a ute, I was a switch hitter in baseball (no tasteless comments please).

Tried my 22 pump and the only real problem is the right master eye.

Anybody been down this road ? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Could always try a non magnified red dot. Keep both eyes open and the dot will appear and the vision of the left eye will be clear. That way you don't have to switch hands

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
I'm a (well, I was) a professional photographer. I had to change from right eye dominate to left eye. It took a lot of practice to get used to using the left eye.
I still shot right-eye.

Two years ago a medical condition made it hard for me to hold the forearm of the rifle - no strength in the left arm. I tried to change to left-hand shooting as I was already left-eye dominate. It took a very long time to feel comfortable shooting from the other side.

My suggestion is practice, practice, practice - there is no magic pill to help.

Michael

PS: My left arm strength finally came back - now I can shoot equally bad both right and left handed.

The red dot suggestion (above) is an excellent solution. Wish I'd thought of that.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'm right handed left eye dominate.. shot with left eye using right hand a long time before I even knew what was going on... long story short close your dominate eye if usin the other eye for shooting, I have to close my left eye being left eye dominate and right handed. I have shot some left handed, and it's not natural to me, however I can do it making good hits if needed, I have not really tried to refine the skill. I was somewhat ambidextrous also when I was younger... I think if your not careful you will pick up some bad habits shooting with your off hand.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I am right handed, but left eye dominate. It took practice, but I taught myself to shoot a scoped rifle left handed.

After a little training, I can shoot handguns with either hand because I keep both eyes open (shooting a recurve bow left or right handed then came natural.)

Just keep training. It will come to you.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I am left handed and have the same deal. Right eye is a lot better but neither is great.Was ready to send back 2 new scopes till I tried the other eye.

·
Super Moderator
23,562 Posts
I taught myself to shoot either way years ago.
I started with a bb gun and just stayed at it.
I have been able to switch and shoot either way
for a long time and think little of it now.

·
Super Moderator
15,452 Posts
My Lady is a southpaw... We just ordered her a lefty bolt gun... I shoot both left and right handed every time we go to the range... I've always shot both...

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Had to shoot a deer from my tree stand left handed a couple of years ago. No problem.

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
I'm also left-eye dominant and left-handed. Just been diagnosed with a big mess of "floaters" in my left eye that blur my vision at the center of the iris. It's like looking through a hairbrush full of hair. The doc told me that there is nothing they can do to remedy it. I was told to live with it.

It is what it is.

I'm working on ways to work with the problem, but I'm not switching to shoot from the right eye.

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I too have had eye surgery.
In the right eye.
Distorted vision in it now.
Makes it hard to shoot right handed.
And I've shot right handed for over fifty years.
What to do ?
Practice.. practice... practice..
Tried shooting my 10/22s..
Not bad.. tried my Marlin 60s..
My 39A...
But the sights weren't as clear as I needed. For my left eye.
It's not perfect either. But much better than my right.
Then one day.. I spotted one of my Nylon 66s..
Hummmm ??
Top Tang safety.. and Big iron sights.
Eureka!!
It's perfect for teaching me how to to shoot left handed.
For me the sights are pretty clear.
I'm hitting where I aim.
It's a very reliable and dependable Rifle.
Light weight. Eazy to use.
I'm actually having a blast with it.
For me..the answer was the great old Nylon 66 ������

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed. I have killed quite a few deer left handed over the years and am comfortable either way. My fiend lost a eye and had to start shooting left handed and he took to it like a duck to water, having just one eye he could see at distance better than I could, I guess that when you have just one eye it gets stronger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts