Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been loading jacketed bullet for the 1895 and, considering ordering some Crater Lites from Jae-Bok Young. What if any thing needs to be done to the rifle? Nothing? Clean bore? Can they be mixed in the magazine? Need some input. :?: :?:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yes, you need to clean the bore and you need to use a copper solvent to do it. No, you should not mix jacketed and cast. Copper fouling does bad things to cast accuracy.

I know nothing about the specific bullets you mention, but cast bullets need to be oversided. I would suggest at least .459 for a .45-70 Marlin. Unless those bullets are gas checked, you will find it difficult to impossible to get accuracy past 1400 fps.

While I am at it, I'll point out that you can buy the Lee 459-405-HB mould and a bottle of Liquid Alox cheaper than you can buy 100 commercial bullets and pay shipping. Everything else you need for bullets at least as good as you can buy can be scrounged.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
This could be the start of a terrible disease! Casting your own is the only way to go. As pointed out above, you can get into this cheaply, but good luck, like all reloading, it can get a little more expensive than anticipated. I looked at the advantages, and now have 8 45-70 molds along with other calibers represented. I shoot a lot, but probably enjoy the process as much as anything. Good luck, and do your research. I even have 2 45-70's. One for cast, and one for jacketed. And so it goes... I have come back to edit-or at least add that I enjoy casting, and if you enjoy the pursuit of makeing that gun shoot, you will achieve better accuracy and performance from your gun if you cast for yourself. I started last December, and have cast and shot literally thousands of bullets for a very cheap price. I am familiar with my gun and feel confident even though I am hunting with cast for the first time. Beartooth Bullets makes superior fitted bullets for our guns and should you decide to shoot cast, their little booklet is priceless in learning how to lap your gun and learn about fitting the bullet to your chamber/bore. I highly recommend educating yourself. If you prefer to buy and shoot, go for the .460 sized bullets if available and have fun. Lapping incidentally is smoothing out bore roughness and irregularities. I highly recommend it. Good Luck!

G

·
Should you decide to start casting ,there is a fine organization that I am a member of that can be very helpful :D It's called the Cast Bullet Association. Their web sight is www.castbulletassoc.org 8) Anything you want to know about the association can be found there :!:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Leftoverdj has it right, you need those cast bullets to be the right size or you'll have a helluva time getting them to shoot accurately. Some guns need a .459" or .460" bullet to get good results. Measure your bore and go .001" or .002" over groove diameter.

As an example, one rifle I have was shooting 10" groups at 35 yds with .458" cast/gaschecked bullets! This rifle shoots jacketed nicely, but improperly sized cast can be a miserable failure. My rifle I mention above needs .460" or .461" bullets when shooting cast, which is hard to find from bullet makers. Almost have to get a custom mould made for that rifle. At this point I abandoned my hopes for cast in that rifle for the time being, I'll mess with it later and for now am back to using jacketed with no problems.

I know I was amazed at this lesson in proper bullet sizing!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Arizona, there is a solution. A poster from the old Shooters.com called Beagle figgered out that you can apply thin strips of self adhesive aluminum tape to each side of your mould blocks and shim your mould open .003-.004. Bullets come out oval by that amount, but get squeezed back into round either by your sizer or your bore. Works great.

Any hardware store will have the tape for a few bucks, or you can IM me an address and I'll send you some. I had to buy a hundred foot roll and each mould takes less than a half inch. Each treatment lasts for several hundred casts and you can peel the tape off and clean with solvent any time you want the mould back to original.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts