Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about stocking up on some survival food, the long term 25 year plan. Have read up on some different company's that offer survival foods, hard to decide which to try. Thought maybe someone on MO might have some ideas, or is stocking up on survival foods.
The way things are going i`m thinking we might need something stored away besides ammo to see us through a while. The freeze dried seems to be a favorite of some people i have talked to, but there are other types. I need some input, any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
"Beginner level" issues of stocking a pantry:
http://frugaldad.com/2010/08/09/the-frugal-pantry-project/ There are some good things to take away from the comments.

More Info from LDS web site http://www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html

Reliable companies I use as sources either for individual food items and assembled "food units"

http://www.internet-grocer.net/foodpack.htm
http://freezedryguy.com/index.html
http://freezedryguy.net/Store/tabid/536/Default.aspx
http://www.freezedryguy.net/Specials/tabid/449/Default.aspx
http://www.freezedryguy.net/Store/Products/tabid/760/CategoryID/413/Default.aspx
http://www.readyreservefoods.com/home/

For further reference
this site is divided into 15 sub-categories making it easier to find whatever type of info you are looking for. Recommend downloading this to a thumb drive to have if there is no internet to go to. Includes medical reference, dentistry, medication info, communications, food storage, and other useful emergency information: http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html#Skills

Reactions: farmboy

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
For food I am canning. Freeze dried can be so expensive and for long term you have to he well off to make that work. Besides with canning you can decide what kind of quality food goes into you and your family. Dehydrating is another route.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
We do most our own, we use Mylar bags with oxidizers and vacuum them out and seal with heat. You can use buckets, ammo cans or whatever. We pack, sweet and jasmine rice, oats, dried pinto beans, tortilla flour, flour, sugar, coffee, lots of different pastas, powdered milk,bouillon powder in Beef and chicken, etc, we have lots of stuff packed, cheaper then the pre made instant food.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
We do most our own, we use Mylar bags with oxidizers and vacuum them out and seal with heat. You can use buckets, ammo cans or whatever. We pack, sweet and jasmine rice, oats, dried pinto beans, tortilla flour, flour, sugar, coffee, lots of different pastas, powdered milk,bouillon powder in Beef and chicken, etc, we have lots of stuff packed, cheaper then the pre made instant food.
That's exactly what we do.

We just put-up another few five gallon buckets of mylar sealed rice and beans with some different stuff thrown in for spicing and flavoring.

farmboy - you'll save so much money buying mylar bags and doing your own vacuum sealing. It's easy to do and you can use hand warmers for O2 absorbers.

We've sealed pasta, beans, peas, rice ...

You have to avoid brown rice because it will go rancid.

Powdered milk, instant mashed potatoes (Idahoan brand are the best). Cheese powder, etc. Lots of bullion but be careful not to get the kind with oil on the label unless it is palm oil and even then you have to think twice about making sure you buy the well packed bullion or otherwise it will go rancid. So, while we have a lot of buiilion packed away in the buckets, we've actually started throwing bullion in the freezers for long term storage.

Here is the only type of chicken bullion we store ... already packed in mylar and ready to go in the freezer. Now, with that said, we just opened a ten year old jar of bullion that is eight years past the "Best By" date and it is still good.

Before we put-up beans and peas I always freeze them for a few days just in case there are any kritters in there that need killin' ... then I lay them out like this until they are room temperature and no more condensation on the bags.

Now, I've probably got a few hundred pounds of Pinto Beans in buckets, but we also like to do a lot of other stuff too ... especially peas and lentels. They cook faster, have more nutritional value and they take up less space. But when planning preps, make sure to give yourself lots of variety - that is very important. With plenty of ways to season your food differently.

Then I transfer them into freezer bags before putting them in the mylar bag and bucket for vacuum packing ... does it look like fifty pounds of peas and beans? Well, it is ...

Now, I do rice in bags as well, but sometimes I do rice for camping trips and bug out bags like this ... each plastic bottle contains a small moisture pill and exactly one pound of rice. I prefer the straight walled bottles because they take up less space in storage.

This is twenty pounds of rice ... but it did not go in buckets. It went into another little cubby hole in the cupboard where I have a couple hundred of these stacked up in a relatively small space. I'll be taking a half dozen or so of these with me this weekend to the hunting camp, along with vacuum packed tuna and soy sauce (little packs we get from the chinese restaurant) and hot sauce (from taco bell), and chicken bullion (in empty mini bottles). For our bug out bags we have these same sort of bottles of rice with bullion packs we saved from Ramen noodle taped to the bottles along with soy sauce packs. I've actually used this when hiking and it works very well.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Honestly though stocking up for that long isn't realistic. Need to learn about heirloom gardening. That is my favorite hobby! If you have any questions on that give me a PM and I should be able to answer any question for you.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I've been heirloom gardening for years. Order new seeds every year from the Clemson Ag extension office .... and save some from every crop for rotation. Plus I buy hybrid species each year as well that we plant and freeze for storage. I'm hoping my crop needs are covered through redundancy this way ... along with having plenty of garden tools and a working knowledge of natural pest control.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I stock up on Barley and Hops so I can make beer.
Got plenty of that too ... along with syrups.

Made sake last year out of home grown rice ... hoping to plant another rice crop this year - wish I would have earlier with all the rain we got - it was a perfect year.

Put up quite a bit of muscadine wine this year. Plus my grapes should be peaking next year along with my peach trees.

LOL ... I have to laugh at how our thought process works. Making sure we have fermentables just in case of a real emergency.

I'm pretty proud of my yeast collection ... from bread to whatever. My little yeasties are happy little well-fed buggars.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Full disclosure: I am not a member of the Latter Day Saints.

That said, many Mormon Churches are attached to large food storage "plants." As part of their religion, Mormons store up food. Their "plants" break down large ammounts of beans, rice and etc. into smaller units in large cans.

They'll sell to non-Mormons. My buds and I buy there often in Houston. There are many such places all across the country.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Me bro sells MT House, and has many years worth, He says the LDS stuff is as good, he just got a better deal with Mt House

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Actually in a SHTF scenario alcohol will probably be one of the best (if no the best) bartering item. I would definitely learn how to make alcohol if it were me.

Got plenty of that too ... along with syrups.

Made sake last year out of home grown rice ... hoping to plant another rice crop this year - wish I would have earlier with all the rain we got - it was a perfect year.

Put up quite a bit of muscadine wine this year. Plus my grapes should be peaking next year along with my peach trees.

LOL ... I have to laugh at how our thought process works. Making sure we have fermentables just in case of a real emergency.

I'm pretty proud of my yeast collection ... from bread to whatever. My little yeasties are happy little well-fed buggars.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Full disclosure: I am not a member of the Latter Day Saints.

That said, many Mormon Churches are attached to large food storage "plants." As part of their religion, Mormons store up food. Their "plants" break down large ammounts of beans, rice and etc. into smaller units in large cans.

They'll sell to non-Mormons. My buds and I buy there often in Houston. There are many such places all across the country.
Before we bought all of our own vacuum packing and canning stuff we used to go to the LDS store and buy from them and pack everything right there using their facilities. They are very accommodating to outsiders. They've also got all the whole grain stuff down to a science with the ability to nitro flush and everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts