Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the things going on in the world and in our own country I started to think I am not prepared if something crazy goes down. I searched and found a company close to my house that I will be going to tomorrow to check out their products, I have 1000's of rounds of ammo and I will be getting reloading equipment with everything I will need to reload 1000's more but I cant believe that I was not thinking about food, water purification or sanitation. Just in case anyone else wants to check it out.

http://www.quakekare.com/

Tim

·
Registered
16,675 Posts
My 2012 plan, hundreds of cans of beenie wienies. ;D My wife doesnt like the implications ::).

Seriously though, thanks for the link.

·
Super Moderator
7,954 Posts
There are hundreds of Survival Forums on the Web, and lots of good information.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Planning ahead saves $$ and If you wait for a invite The stores will be empty :)

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Several cases of Ramon noodles, they have a long term storage as long as they are kept dry and the carbs will keep you going.

Most any dried goods, like beans, dehydrated items, dried corn ect are a good item to have on hand.

Of course you want a lot of salt just in case and buying it in larger sealed containers is a good idea, salt is a good preservative in case you put up meat, fish ect.

If you like pepper it's a good idea to have pepper corns around and a mill to grind them. Having a dehydration method for drying foods without the need for electricity is always a good thing to learn.

Ammo is always good, stock up on 1000s of .22 rimfires, this is the king of survival weapons bar none.

Look it up on how to snare small game and birds, they will be around aplenty.

Do one thing and have fishing gear, that will feed you when all else is scarce. Learn how to make sets and trot lines. Have a lot of snelled hooks in the size 8 and up to 4s will get you a lot of fish plus can be used to bait wild birds such as grouse when food gets scarce they will eat a piece of whole kernel corn on a hooks shank.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swany, great information!! With me I have to be very careful with what I store to eat. 2 1/2 years ago I became allergic to all nuts and soy. Unfortunately an Epi-pen only lasts 1 year. After that expires... Well I hope at least i can get my family situated somewhere safe and have enough resources, information and anything else I can think of on how to survive. I can have Ramon noddles but not the package that comes with it as it has soy ::) Water and pills to go in the water will be another thing I will have to look at. I am wanting enough to sustain my family for 1 year at least.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn! I just called and spoke to a sales rep and although they are nut free they do have soy in them, just in case anyone else on here is allergic to soy. I emailed them to ask if they would consider making a soy free version. I really don't think that will go anywhere since soy is used as a preservative.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I Produce Dry Pack Long Term Food packed in a Number 10 can. Current product is a soup mix. 128 serving per can. 30 year shelf life, 1 year after opening.
Ingredients:
Rice, Barley, Split Green Peas, Lentils, Salad Macaroni, Dry Onions

Coming soon products:
Multi-Bean Soup
Rice
White Flour
Pinto Beans
Salt
Sugar
Navy/Great Northern Beans

I can also Dry Pack other items upon request (other then foods).

If interested PM me.

I'm here to help.

(I'm in SoCal)

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Get a good dehydrator now and make up your own recipes.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
CaliGunNut those bottles of water pills have a short life after opened. better get them individually wrapped :)

And for you guys with a sweet tooth Hostis Twinkies have enough preservatives to last 100yrs or so.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Roosterb said:
My 2012 plan, hundreds of cans of beenie wienies. ;D My wife doesnt like the implications ::).

Seriously though, thanks for the link.
And Gas-X... ;D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Take a little time to get familiar with what native plants in your area are edible. You will surprised as to how much food is just outside your door. I have studied native american medicinals as well. A little knowledge can go a long way.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Oh yeah, take a cat tail for instance, green the tops can be cooked like corn on the cob and are good for you.

Dried they can be put in flour, pancakes ect as an extender with nutrients and fiber.

The roots are tasty and are similar to celery in taste but have more nutrients, can be eaten as is or added to a soup or most anything to extend the food hot or cold.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
The east Vancouver,WA Wal-Mart has started carrying Augason Farms foods. In the food section, many items are in #10 cans, from butter and margarine, to whole eggs, vegies, soup mixes, and even OP veggie seeds. They are headquartered in SLC, Utah. I have started stocking up with eggs and butter/margarine as these can be used readily for baking . Good to have alot of legumes/beans/seed put away, even for real long term, they can be sprouted to provide the 'fresh' nutrients. Stock multi vitamins and first aid items as well. Iodine can be used for first aid and water purification, petroleum jelly for first aid,fire starting, and weapons maintenance or lubrication. Multi use stuff. Happiness is a full pantry.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
I have two propane tank just in case the $hyt hits the fan and the electricity goes out and a 6250 watt Coleman Powermate generator that i run once a month just to keep every thing in check.Haven't been camping now in a few years but a lot of that will come in handy if the time comes.Italian dressing make a good quick marinade for dehydrator's

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I've dehydrated a lot of food and one is shredded carrots, very tasty and they take on a coconut taste. Carrot culls from big growers are very cheap as are potatoes, go together with another family member and get a 100lbs of each to dry. Nothing beats a batch of pancakes with dried apple crushed up in the mix.

Grow a large crop of onions and they dehydrate well and store a long long time. But then if you have an old vehicle on your property you can put racks in there during the summer and dehydrate a lot of items at once using solar power. Nice window van works well for making jerky. Dried morels by the hundreds in one I had. If you can eat it most often it can be preserved by dehydration. Wanted to get enough tomatoes to do but alas no dice. Next year I'm going to do some strawberries.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
Everything being mentioned is correct!
We've been dehydrating & vacuum sealing for more than a year now.
Everything is being stored in Mylar bags w/ oxygen absorber packs in 5 gal ~ 30 gal airtight buckets and barrels.
Some things that I can't do eg; powdered eggs, butter, tomato powder, cheese etc; have been obtained through
http://thereadystore.com/

You can't be too ready!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Good stuff guys. I need to try dehydrating. I have three apple trees and get hundreds of pounds of apples each year, we use what we can and give the rest away - plus the local cattle, deer and horses are mighty please I share with them too. A feller can only eat so many apple pies though. The Kings keep fresh a good while. The Jonagolds need to be made into sauce, pies or frozen slices. A dehydrator would allow us to enjoy them longer.

Around here taters can stay in the ground for a good long spell and be dug up through the Winter (when the ground ain't too froze).

Maters never seem to last long enough to do but eat fresh. I don't have a lot of good spots to grow em so I never seem to grow enough. These last two years have been milder so the tomatoes came in late and underachieved.

Going to do a little guerrilla gardening (unattended) around my place and see how it does. My expectations are pretty low as I have lots of critters to contend with. Its worth trying though.

I agree things look rough ahead. Food prices have noticeably risen and if this financial crisis continues to get "solved" by devaluing our currency, I suspect it'll get a lot more expensive before too long. If it does collapse I'm not sure how it will play out so being prepared and adaptable is good policy regardless. Famine worked for Stalin and Mao. I'm sure it would work here too if the powers that be so decide they need to use it to control us.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
One thing that did surprise me is mixing fruit and meat then dehydrating into small cookie size chunks, very tasty.

On water, getting or making a small still for distilling water over an open fire is a very handy thing to have. Working a recipe for alchohol is also a good side of having a still, whether for drinking, trading or fuel it's useful. Of course simply boiling and filtering the chunks out of standing water is another way. Find a source for permanent coffee filters using 100 mesh screen that works well and will last a long time.

Still contend a solar charger, batteries and inveters will be invaluable if the crisis gets to the point of no power and they are a good backup power source in case the power goes out now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
costco.com has a bunch of dehydrated and freeze dried preps along with water storage/stabilizer kits as in 55 gallon drums. They sell huge expensive "kits" for people with more money than brains (to the tune of $3,500.00). Then they have 6 packs and up of just meat, or just cheese or fruit and veggies. They also sell bulk pails of food too like beans, rice, powdered milk, flour, shredded veggies. NO, I DON"T WORK FOR THEM. The price includes deliverery. I ordered a case of food and one can was dented but not the outer shipping box. This told me that the can was packed dented. I told this to customer service and said I could email a picture as proof. They said it was not necessary, took my info and in a week I had a replacement can of product. Here in Florida, there are not a lot of preppers as in say Washington state or Utah. So our local stores don't carry any #10 (gallon size) cans of food other than nacho cheese sauce or peaches and pudding. Honeyville Ranch and Grandma's Country Foods are other places to comparison shop. I don't like the prepackaged meals as they are too high in sodium and bland. We shop for separate meats, fruit and veggies while supplementing with canned goods on sale locally. We don't have a green thumb but continue to try. We have a grapefruit tree and keylime baby trees. The grapefruit has produced about 90 this year. It is still kind of young. Vitimin C is important.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts