Marlin Firearms Forum banner

surprise surprise

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dodgestdshift 
#1 ·
Was out at the range the other day and wanted to try some Leverevolution 160 grain 30/30 stuff and compair to Fed Fusion 150 grain. To my surprise they have the exact 3 inch high point of aim at 100 yards out of my 336. Thought I was seeing things so I ran a few 125 grain reloads down the pipe and discovered they hit about an inch lower and an inch to the right.

The 125 typically hit about 5 inches higher than 150 win power points.

So what is the deal? Is the 150 grain fusion starting off faster and the 160 evolution catching up at 100 yards. What would it look like at 200?

Didnt have the weather or time to find out. By the way had a sub 2 inch 3 shot group at 100 on a very nasty windy cold day with the evolution. Pretty happy considering if it had been nicer it would probably shrink a bit. My best group in that rifle is 1.5 inches.
pb

#3 ·
The only way to tell velocity is with a chronograph. I doubt that the reason is velocity. Different bullets have differing vibration patterns to the barrel, which can cause slower bullets to print higher at shorter distances. Recoil can also have an effect. Heavy hand gun bullets usually print higher than lighter faster bullets due to the recoil.

The 150 starts faster (probably) but slows down (depending on ballistic coefficient) faster than the 160 gr.

This is why you have to sight in a new load. "Stands to Reason" doesn't always work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.