Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
What's available as surplus is forever changing. WC 680 has the most appropriate burning rate of what you can get now, but I have not worked up a load with it. I do know that others have. There are a couple of equivalents to H-335 and they would work for heavy jacketed bullet loads, but I don't shoot those.

Surplus 4759 is sometimes available, but I have not been quite quick enough. You just have to watch the surplus market until what you need comes up.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leftoverdj~ Do you have any addy's where I might find of this surplus 4759? I've never seen it myself...... Thanks Buddy

Sasquatch

·
Registered
957 Posts
Jeff Bartlett, aka www.gibrass.com , briefly had 4759 available earlier this year for pickup at his place only. There was not enough of it for him to do the paperwork to be able to legally ship it, and it's all gone now.

I know of no current sources as surplus.

By definition, there is no steady source of surplus powder. It's whatever there is currently a lot of cheap. Right now, the market is tight, selection is limited, and prices are rising. This may or may not change in the near future.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Has anyone used h4831 in the 45-70? Any starting loads?Shootrj2003

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
H4831 in the 45-70
Any sized bullet.
Starting load - as much powder as will fit in the case with the bullet seated.
Maximum load - as much powder as will fit in the case with the bullet seated plus a couple of grains and compressed.

This is of course a joke, but demonstrates that H4831 has a burn rate that is unsuited to the 45-70.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I ,incidently, had thought as much ,but was checking the idea out as I bought some at the show[Middletown,N.Y.]this weekend .price?18.75 .I use it for my .270 and 30-06 and when I find another use for it, that too!Thank you for your input Jackfish.My favorite powders are 3031and 4895 ,either brand will do.shootrj2003

·
Registered
957 Posts
jackfish said:
H4831 in the 45-70
Any sized bullet.
Starting load - as much powder as will fit in the case with the bullet seated.
Maximum load - as much powder as will fit in the case with the bullet seated plus a couple of grains and compressed.

This is of course a joke, but demonstrates that H4831 has a burn rate that is unsuited to the 45-70.
There are people who do that and who report good results. It's a holdover from the days of dirt cheap milsurp 4831. It's also a standard cast bullet shooter's trick. When you lack data, a full case of a powder you know to be too slow is a place to start.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Used to be a fella on the Old Marlintalk used a slow burning surplus powder and said a case full duplicated the blackpowder velocities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts