Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sit this and write as I should be mentally preparing for a pups broken leg surgery. perhaps I already am. Took the boy (5 years) out yesterday with me to the farm. Frequently, spending 8 hours at work is not his idea of a good time, but the girls and their mother went away for a 4 hour trip for a dance lesson. We mowed the old cabins yard, cut red cedar over the pasture, and went through a good portion of the 65 acre forest spraying the locust trees with a combination of corral and diesel. Hope they die off so I can put an end to their scourge. We headed back to the house for some water. He still had energy to plink. He is only 5, but can handle a gun from a bench. I try to forgo the bench these days, spending more time shooting from a sitting or standing position. I only had his 22 Marlin single shot, a new papoose given to me by a client, and my 30-30CB. We have an assortment of cans, bricks, and old appliances like radio's, phones, and a freezer. Its amazing how quickly he has picked up on shooting cans. He is dead on at 25 yards, and hits every now and then at 50. That CB of mine has a Lyman peep on it, and its easy to pick bricks at 100 yards. Went through 100 rounds quicker than I could imagine, and it began to get dark. I think the boy went through 250 rounds of my brick. Just a Beautiful Spring day...

Have a good week.

David

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
David,
My son and I spent yesterday afternoon out shooting also. The weather was perfect. I was shooting the 38/55 and dusted a bird quite by accident. It was either a sparrow or a swallow. I was shooting for a group at 50 yards and pulled the trigger, this bird flew right into the path of the bullet at about the 40-45 yard mark and all I saw was a PUFF. My says "Dad, did you see that bird? Look at all those feathers!!" :lol: All I could was laugh. Then he says do it again Dad. It is one of those things a guy couldnt do if he tried. I think I have some good loads for the 44 mag, I need to recheck them and see if I can reproduce the groups. Hope all goes well with surgery.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alan called me on this...

The surgery was on a patient dog of mine.. :)

NOT ME!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Doc -

some of my fondest memories are sitting out in the driveway plinking tin cans with Granddad. Got started when I was a little older then your son, about 7. I'm sure you'll both cherish the memories.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Plinking is one of those things I do to keep stress at bay. I haven't plinked in a while and I can feel it.

Big Med, that's the first time I have heard of game running into a bullet! My hunting buddy shot a butterfly like this several years ago, with a 7mm mag! He was propped on the bench and a tiger butterfly came past in the usual uneven flight pattern. I thought, "...wouldn't it be funny if... BANG!!, the poor thing was about a foot from the bullet path and only 2 feet from the muzzle. One wing tip is all that was left.

Dr. A, so how did the surgery go?

SS

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dogs femur has meeting ends again. Abundantly boring, and thats good. :wink:

Going to sight in (make sure their sighted in), my varmint guns tonight if the wind dies down. Should be going to Western Kansas over Memorial day.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Good luck with the wind, they say 40-45 mhp all day today in these parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts