Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started out from a Friday night at the local RSL(Returned Services League club) 2 weeks ago for a few beers with a mate or 2 and to see if I could win the badge members draw generally worth anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars up to $1000 if the money isn't won and it climbs each week.
Grabbing a beer 1 of the local cocky's(what we Aussies call a farmer) called me over and asked if I'd be interested in busting a few Crows that were hanging around 1 of his sheep feeders and also a fox or 2 if I came across them.

Well that was a very quick "When can I come out?" reply and on the Sunday afternoon after going to the local rifle range in the next large rural city about 35klms away I also managed to run into my son in law's cousin at the range and asked him if he'd be interested in a bit of Crow busting.

He was very interested and asked if he could bring his .17HMR along........................"No worries throw it in." I said.
So just after lunch we headed out. We arrived about 10 minutes later pulled up at the house but nobody home so we pulled the rifles(Pete's .17HMR and my M77 Ruger 22/250AI and my Beretta 12g U/O loaded with BB's) out and proceeded down the track towards the sheep feeders.
I pulled the Landcruiser up probably 100 yards away from the feeders and there in the gum trees and on the feeders were probably around 20 Crows or so feeding or waiting to feed plus the usual sentries.

I let Pete have 1st crack at them so he lined up the 1st Crow sitting on a fence wire and dropped it. The Crows took off, circled around and some came back to roost and I'm cursing myself for not having the Beretta ready to go as the Crows were all flying well with in range of a load of BB's.
These Crows were certainly not the wary, cunning mongrels that we're used to. The Crows settled again and Pete lined up another Crow sitting on a branch and dropped it. After that the Crows got very wary and took off to parts that were a lot safer.
We decided to head off over to the back of the farm to see if there were any Crows dumb enough to sit still in a tree so that I could give them a taste of love from a 63gn SP from my 22/250AI but none were that stupid so we decided to try and whistle in a fox or 2.

I parked the Landcruiser under a tree and Pete pulled his .17HMR out while I grabbed the Beretta and popped 2 BB shells into it. Pete started whistling and about 5 minutes later a Vixen came charging in like a fat kid in a chocolate factory.
Pete softened the whistling so that the fox kept coming in and around 10 yards I whispered to Pete to stop. He did but that didn't stop the fox and I stood up and gave her the 1st barrel which hit here face and chest on and as she turned to my left I gave her the 2nd barrel which made her really sick and she was basically dead man running as she piled up about 20 yards away from us dead with a heap of holes in her.

That basically ended the afternoon as we moved on up the paddock and tried whistling again but to no avail so we packed up and headed home.

One of the Crows that made a bad career decision,

Plant Automotive tire Wood Trunk Grass

The .17 is a very emphatic killer with in it's limits.

This Vixen let hunger overtake caution with a very bad result. BB's cause bad health reactions it seems,

Plant Fawn Grass Wood Tail

·
Registered
908 Posts
Good shooting. I got 2 mourning doves with the 22 pellet gun while the coffee was brewing. The were trying to build a nest on the ceiling fan but kept spinning around on the blades. Kinda reminded of the fair when I was a kid as they came around each time for a shot.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
They'll warn each other on the road with that "Caw! Caw! Caw!"

But you can sneak up on them in a SUV, because they haven't learned to say "Truck!"

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They'll warn each other on the road with that "Caw! Caw! Caw!"

But you can sneak up on them in a SUV, because they haven't learned to say "Truck!"
There's a standard Aussie joke to that but it's somewhat rude.............................when a Crow's mate gets hit with a bullet the other Crow screams out "F$%^! F&*^!
Most Crows here a very smart and you can drive towards them and they'll sit in a tree or on a fence post and not move BUT get out of the 4wd or car with a rifle and they're off like a week old piece of cheese.
But they can't count so the driver gets out without a gun and the passenger sneaks out the other side and sets up to shoot and most of the time wins. The other thing Crows hate are owls and will go out of their way to attack them so some blokes get imitation owls and set them up in a tree and put a blind close by and wait for the Crows to come in and attack OR get some foil paper and set it up as Crows like shiny things and they're attracted by silver foil.

·
Registered
17,429 Posts
Nice day out, all and all, HairBear.
Crows are considered a migratory game bird species here in Florida, you must have the permit selected when purchasing or renewing your hunting license, and of course there is a season on them. Growing up, my father would shoot them with his Marlin Model 60. They have ruined more than one turkey hunts for me back when I hunted a lot as a teenager, so they get no quarter from me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts