Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer we are planning more outings to the lake. Its 10 minutes from the house. We have had issues in the past from a bike gang that like to hang around and look at eye candy.

We have asked them to leave, and they did so reluctantly when the police showed up. The biker boys had been drinking, in a state park, big no no in SC.

I am always polite when this kind of trouble shows up, and generally don't say much unless there is a threat to my family or friends. Now I know these boys, not females with them, were carrying because I saw the shoulder holster when one of them unzipped their Leathers. Long story short, I had my EDC firearm in the truck. This day I had my Glock 21, but other days its my S&W 44mag. Now my wife carries a Sig 250 in her car, and a pocket 380.

I fill out gunned with the 380 and concealing any of the other firearms is to difficult in swim shorts and T-Shirt. So here is my question, "What Pocket Carry Firearm" do you all carry at the lake in your swimsuit?

Here are my criteria for the pocket carry:

1. Accurate out to about 30 feet while shot from the pocket,
2. One shot stopping power,
3. Firearm will fit my big hands with short fingers,
4. Should be Stainless Steel due to water and corrosion,
5. New price would be say $500 - $800,
6. Used price would be say $380 - $500.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Bring a beach bag, and put in it anything you want, just always have someone by it at all times. I know SC laws forbid firearms at some state parks, but, me and me alone are responsible for the safety of my loved ones, I would not trust any park ranger with that responsibility!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
No personal experience but: Glock 36
Decent coating on metal parts. Carry a spare mag from your 21 in fair shape. Possibly choose a quiter section of the beach so you won't need them.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Starrbow's given you a great alternative...or, one of the small soft-sided coolers.

If you would, allow me address some of your stated criteria. No matter how large the handgun or powerful the cartridge, there's no such thing as an sure "one shot stop", and believing there is can be very hazardous. This is especially true of any pistol small and light enough to be carried in the pocket of a pair of swim trunks.

Second, 10 yard accuracy from the pocket is more a factor of practice than the choice of weapon. The problem becomes practice...it's a bit hard on the pockets. Joking aside, you're much farther ahead practicing a smooth draw and flash sight alignment.

Roe

·
Registered
292 Posts
31 years as a cop, so I've had to deal with this kind of concealment issue from time to time. For me, I have no problem carrying a baby Glock .40 in a hand-made upper leg holster, under baggy swim trunks. I've been very surprised at how well the finish on the Glocks hold up to abuse like sweat and rain with no cleaning for days. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised as Navy Seals must carry something through salt water on missions that don't always make time for gun cleaning. I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't need to be stainless steel.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Don't think any semi, will cycle properly when fired inside a pocket. The choice would seem limited to a hammerless revolver.

A concealed hammer titanium 38 snubbie in a pocket holster for summer concealed carry works well. Did use the Kel Tec Pf9, but twice in 2 years it stovepiped its first round, when fired, just before routine cleaning, and it really didn't have much lint etc, in it. So it got swapped for the 38 snubbie. The Glock 29 (10mm compact) is the preferred carry gun, but not a pocket gun. Not pictured is a S&W 3913, which has proven very relaible an accurate over the years. A concealed hammer five shot (stainless J frame) 357 would seem the best fit.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I never was much of a swimmer so at the beach it's short's, a light shirt and my ever present fanny pack.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
To me, it is wishful thinking to believe any one gun or even holster is going to satisfy your needs. Sorry, but I feel you should look at a couple options. I still work for a living, an active job and it's not really polite to open carry. My needs for a concealed gun vary, but in the end it needs to be comfortable and convenient. Being a firm believer that any gun is better than no gun, I usually carry a smaller semi auto in .380. It rides in a back pocket very well, until the jeans wear enough to show the print of the gun. Ankle rigs have possibilities. At the end of the day, I have to modify how I dress or what I carry. If it's cool enough, a 1911 or a Glock 23 is my preference. Hard to beat the ease of carry with a small .380. Not having a gun on your person represents some responsibility issues. Like, don't let the grandchild in my bag that's sitting over there. Or, catch that guy running off with my bag. On the person is the only safe way. For this you will have to compromise what you do and don't do, and what you have to wear. Carrying or having a gun near represents a compromise on some level and a huge liability each needing serious thought. You might have to alter your activities and avoid trouble areas. Steve

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
I have a Kahr PM9 (handles 9mm+P) with night sights that I'm really fond of. It isn't my primary carry, that would be a Kimber Ultra Raptor II, 45 ACP.

Still the PM9 has it's place. Very small, easy to conceal, accurate and runs like a top. If you don't want an auto maybe a J frame or Ruger equivalent in 38 special if you'd prefer a wheel gun.

And I ALWAYS have my NAA 22 Mag pug in my pocket. Folks who think a 22 mag won't answer the call have never shot anything with it.

Bottom line, there are so many choices out there and so many individual preferences it's hard to select the perfect choice. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I go to the beach about once or twice a week. Most Target and Walmart stores sell board shorts with pockets. I have found just about any small pistol will work well and of lubed with Rand CLP or frog lube can even spend the day in the surf. Just clean it with fresh water, blow it out with compressed air and lube again when done.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The Kahr MK9 is all stainless and small enough for pocket carry and is 9mm.
But for dealing with a "Group" of bikers it would either be a Glock 19
or a 357 Mag revolver.
I have a lot of confidence in both except they are full size guns and it seems
that is what you need when faced with multiple threats.

Reactions: AlaskaDawg and XMAN

·
Registered
956 Posts
Been carrying my glock 19 for a while now under a t shirt with no trouble. My glock 26 was a tad easier. But I made a sacrifice for the extra 5 shots. Had a kahr cm9. Good size, easy to hide, a little hard to hold because of size and a little snappy. Wouldn't fire it from a pocket though. I pocket carry a lcr 357 from time to time. Good size, accurate, powerful with 357 mags. Puts a hurting on my hand after a few cylinders of full power 357's. Could be fired from a pocket but I wouldn't do that unless there was no other choice. The muzzle blast might set your clothes on fire lol.

So many choices. There always seems to be some kind of a compromise when choosing a carry firearm. If I were choosing something specifically for drunken biker gang protection I would definitely carry the largest thing I could. Not sure I would be comy with a pocket pistol. Gang meaning multiple possible baddies and being armed as well adds some twists.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Against some of these big biker dudes 1911 45 acp range officer loaded with critical defense rounds. Make sure it goes through the leather before it expands. With these biker dudes and drugs its like needing 45-70 in case a bear shows up with rabies. LOL

Reactions: farmboy

·
Registered
325 Posts
I dunno if it's the way you want to go, but it might just be best to keep authorities on them.. Before there is a real problem. I don't know if there's any gun out there, concealable or not that'd make me "comfortable" dealing with groups of bikers.. They all make me jittery since seeing that video a few months ago beating up on the guy that got on a highway they tried to block off.. Always makes me wish I carried my 357 in my car when I see em.. But I'm still an immigrant and after a measly 99.999999% of my life in the states I still can't conceal carry..

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Springfield Armory XDS in 45 ACP. Very small and narrow with the 5 rd mag and plenty accurate.

As has been said, firing from the pocket pretty much eliminates semi-autos, but I can't imagine a situation where I would intentionally fire from the pocket anyway. If you get involved in a quick-draw contest, you're probably already in over your head. Tactical advantage is the ball game.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.