Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to having a lever gun and am looking for suggestions. I was curious about how many used the scout scope setup vs the traditional setup vs the eotech type sight. Also, what kind of open sights are the best? Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I've used and still use on many of my rifles, all the scope options mentioned..

I prefer the scout scope setup on my guide gun.
Quick target acquisition and it has the magnification for longer shots. It also helps to see saplings or twigs between me and my game target.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The gun I bought has a Leupold scout scope. I guess it will just take some getting used to.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
To get the most from a scout scope, it is best to look through it with both eyes open.

FOV, isn't as big an issue with a scout scope, like it is with a traditional one.
Being able to see around the scope will help you find your target quick and easier.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
If you go with an XS rail and sight you can have the best of both worlds. All you need is quick detach rings to go it. I have used that combo on few guns and it is nice just because of the flexibility. Here is a gun I have for sale, you will get the idea of what I am talking about when you see the sights.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,88935.0.html

best of both worlds in my mind.

micky

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a nice setup. The gun I bought has the xs scout rail like that. I guess I just need to put a set of sights on it too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I'm in favor of the scout set up as well. I like the XS ghost ring sights to go with my Leupold scout scopes.......I am on the same lines as mainecat.... I like the fast target aquisition and to be honest this set up is great for up close and personal bear hunting we do up in Northern Maine......2 of the rifles below have bear blood on them.....the SBL will get its chance next year!

Here's a 336Y I bought for my youngest son a few years ago that sports a Leupold scout scope and QRW rings using the XS scout mount and a Skinner rear Lo Pro

1895GS with XS scout mount and sights.....Leupold scout scope and QRW rings

Here's a 1895SBL that I just picked up for my oldest son with a XS lever rail, XS sights and a Leupold scout scope with Leupold QRW rings.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Personally I like open sights but I did put a Leupold 3x9 on my 1895CB for a hunt last February and it was nice and would be easy to live with. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts