Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Suggestions?

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  boreal 
#1 ·
Guys, I have drawn a once-in-a-lifetime sheep tag here in Montana and as I was preparing a good load for my BLR in .308 it blew up on me. I've sent it back to Browning to find out why -- the load was under max and the barrel was clean. Now, I am pondering what to pack into the Pryor Mountains for sheep. I have a BLR in .358 but it is a little heavy and kicks like a mule. I also have Marlins in .35Rem, .375Win, and .45-70. I've had several Handi-Rifles through the years and I am wondering if I shouldn't pick up one just for this hunt. Getting a .308 makes the most sense because I have so much brass, bullets, etc... But I am open to options. I also have dies available for .30-06, .270. and .243. I want something light and quick. A .280 sounds attractive but would be more of an investment once I bought dies and components. What thinkest thou?

#3 ·
I went ahead and ordered the Superlight in .243. Also ordered some Remington nickle-plated brass and Combined Technologies silvertip bullet. Any load combination hints are welcomed.

#4 ·
There was a superlight .243 for sale in the classifieds at Graybeards for $140.00 with a scope!!! I have not heard anything good about the accuracy of the superlights, please consider changing it to a standard barrel. Of course the accuracy out of a superlight barrel may be OK for hunting even though it may not reach benchrest standards....<><.... :wink:

#6 ·
Sunday Creek, You may be on the right track with the superlight and "minute of sheep". I am a hunter first and a target shooter second and the two are really different. As a hunter I am happy with putting the first bullet in the "boiler room" and a short track. As a target shooter I am unhappy if I cannot break "minute of angle" as a minimum at 100 yards and am not happy with all in the "K-5" of a combat pistol target but want "X's" to break the ties. I guess I prefer hunting accuracy out of a gun and would prefer to be able to cleanly and humanely kill the animal / eliminate the threat than shoot little tiny groups under controlled conditions anytime....<><.... :D

#7 ·
I, too, am a hunter first, meaning I like to get as close as possible. Also, the chances of drawing this tag was 1 in 140. When that happens it is the Lord. "And the Lord shall provide a ram..."

G
#9 ·
I have a pre-64 Winchester featherweight. Inherited from my father, been in family since before I got out of high school. We have always shot 100 grain Nosler partition ahead of 46 grains of surplus 4831 powder. Many mule deer have fallen to this load, some have been in excess of three hundred yards.
Three years ago, I decided to try sierra boatail (100 grain). Forty-six grains of powder is almost a compressed load, so I reduced the load to forty-five grains to allow for the bevel base. Shoots flatter than the flat base at 200 yards. Shot three shot group at 25 yards, fifty yards and also at 100 yards. All three shots covered by a dime at each yardage, on each target. Superimposed the three targets and a dime would cover all three groups, total nine shots. I know that 100 yards is close range for a 243, however it does give an impression of load preferance in the light rifle, and it is well within a minute of sheep at 200 yards.

Note that the 4831 was mil-surplus, and not Hodgdon, or IMR. although they are similar. The 243 cartridge likes slow powder and 4350 would be my next choice if I had not already found one that worked so well.

Blessed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.