Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to load and looking for a powder that might fill the bill for 32 special, 30-30 and 35 remington. I realize this is not an ideal plan of attack but hoping I can find one choice for all 3 as funds are short and my son and I would like to start loading and shooting.

Candidates so far are: Varget, and H335.

Care to comment on either or suggest another?

·
Registered
37 Posts
We use Varget for 30-30, ----- it is not a super fast burner but effective and is an extreme powder for the desert heat.

Not sure I would try it for pistols. You might check both Hodgdon and your bullet supplier.

One powder does not always fit all ---- better do some researching by reading a good reloader's book like Lyman's and others.

We load several different rounds and use various powders.

Bojon

·
Registered
47 Posts
H4895. I use it for 30-30 and 32 WS. There is a "training" load on Hodgdon's website under youth loads that I use for my old Win 94 using sierra 125 gr JHPs. Also use 21 grains for my Marlin 336 32 WS with 170 gr cast bullets for a nice plinking load, though I could probably jack it up a little. Don't know about the 35 as I don't have one- BTW I've heard that load info for 30-30 is OK for the 32 ws as well but I can't confirm that. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can expand on that. Oh yeah, I use it for 30-06 too. Forgot to add that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
WInchester 748. I use this in my 30-30 and when I had a 35 remington I used it in that as well. Never loaded for the 32 Special though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like RL-7 for accurate loads with light bullets and cast bullets in 30/30. One powder that I don't see mentioned and has worked very well for me is H322. Also the AA2460. Sorry that I have no experiance with the .35 or .32 but have had good results with these and the ones already mentioned in the 30/30. BM

Bill

·
Registered
957 Posts
WW 748 and H 335 are the same thing with different labels. They are also available surplus at about half price.

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm
http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Either WC 844 or WC 846 will do you fine. The surplus H 335 does not seem to be available at the moment although it often is. The cartridges you list have about the same powder requirements as the .223 and the .308 so there is usually appropriate surplus available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts