Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Nosler 5th edition, Hornady 3rd and the cast bullet guide 5th. I am in need of a third manual for reference and am unsure which one to get. I handload for 45-70,.338,30.06,.270, 30-30. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Thanks

Don

·
Registered
463 Posts
The Serria ( rifle ) manual has a lot of good info in it. The Speer manual is a good one also!
I've call the Serria people when I had a question and found them very helpful.
P.S. Their bullets are excelent,also! :wink:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The Hodgdon's Annual (2006) is good, The Barnes, The Richard Lee Manual, and the Individual Manuals for Individual [email protected] $8 a piece. I'd use the one that list the bullets I plan to do most of my loading with. Most of the powder companies have Online listings for reloading with their powders. I would also look particularly at the ones that list Pressure loads.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The Lymans are great references for information and worth their weight just in what you get besides data. Of course, if you use cast bullets their data for that is worth a lot as well.

The Sierra manuals seem to be right on track in many cases for their accuracy loads.

I like Hodgdon #27 for the great variety of loads it has including powders from many manufacturers besides their own.

To be honest, there aren't any that I consider to be junkers. I use them all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Go to www.loadbooks.com
They put out reloading manuals that cover just one caliber and for under $10.00. They have books for the rounds that you listed. I have one for my .338 WIN MAG and it is great. It has the data that would be in the bullet manufacturers books as well as data from the powder companies. Mine also has cast bullet loads.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good advice from all! For cast bullets, you cannot beat the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Before I try a new load, I refer to all of my manuals. It is interesting to see what each company considers the 'MAX' load for a given powder/bullet combination. Powder manufacturers also print their own brochures. I obtain them from my local gunshop as 'giveaways'.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ken Waters's "Pet Loads". It's more than a manual; it has a detailed loading article for each cartridge.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Save time and money go gmdr.com and buy RCBS load, it costs $99 or there abouts, has more than a dozen manuals on a single CD, it also has a buch of programs from drawing the cases, balistics, energy calculator, you can add your own data and chronograph info, and much much more. I bought it and have gotten a lot of use out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts